grey screen of death

Reaction score
Fairly new MacBook Pro stuck on grey screen at startup.

Can anyone help?!

When trying to verify/repair disk, feedback says Disk can not be repaired please back up all important documents etc etc.

I can't back anything up though because I can't log on. Computer hasn't been backed up recently so I would like to try to find a way to repair without losing harddrive, but understand if this is impossible.

I've searched through forums and articles but each seem to be user specific. Obviously not every macbook gets the grey screen for the same reason.

If anyone could help it would be GREATLY appreciated. Will post and run any information you might need! Didn't want to submit unnecessary info.

Booting from Disk
Select Language, Hit Continue to reinstall snow leopard, select Macintosh HD, receive error: The contents of this disk can't be changed. Mac OS X couldn't be installed on this disk.

DISK UTILITY
Info: Disk Identifier: disk0s2
System Version: 10.7.2
Writable: No

Can not repair disk permissions or disk because the drive can not be written to.
Verify disk permissions gives the following errors:
Group differs on "Library/Java", should be 0, group is 80.
Permissions differ on "Library/Java", should be drwxr-xr-x, they are drwxrwxr-x.

Verifying volume "Macintosh HD"
Missing thread record (id = ######)
--lists a bunch of thread records id's
Incorrect number of thread records
Invalid lead record count
(It should be 1318712 instead of 1318710
Checking multi-linked files
Incorrect Number of file hard links
Checking catalog hierarchy
Invalid directory item count.
(It should be 1960 instead of 2076)
etc. etc.
The volume Macintosh HD could not be verified completely.
Error: The disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

Repair Disk
Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files

Is there a way around this? I have no way of backing my disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
At the risk of stating the obvious

Mac Time Machine software, free with your Mac, backs up your HDD automatically and invisibly every hour. It sounds as though your HDD is fried, they all do that eventually. A new HDD and clean OS install will get you operational again but your lost data and software is lost. There are a number of services available to recover that which may still be recoverable. Google and you will get 3,840,000 hits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You need a new hard drive. It happens sometimes they fail when brand new. Any chance it is still under warranty as you did say 'fairly new'? Rescuing data is an extremely expensive business but consider this trial software from Data Rescue 3:-

http://www.prosofteng.com/downloads/download.php?prodID=78

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.