ppt to ipad via itunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
I want to transport some PowerPoint presentations from my Mac to Keynote on my iPad. Many web sites offer the same advice: connect the iPad to the Mac. In iTunes select the iPad in the Device column on the left, select Apps from menu at the top of the page, scroll down to the file sharing panel, click Keynote, click Add at the lower right, navigate to the desired .ppt files, and click them to load them into the Keynote Documents box. Then Sync to the iPad. So far so good. But now on my iPad I start Keynote. I click on the plus-sign in the upper left corner of the screen. This opens a drop-down rectangle "Copy from iTunes." My .ppt files are listed inside this rectangle. I should be able to select them BUT THEY ARE GRAYED OUT AND I CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITH THEM! So close yet so far. How do I finish the process and get them into Keynote?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I can't quite picture what's happening.... but....

Can you try emailing one one the powerpoints to yourself, open the mail on your ipad, touch the attached powerpoint and choose open in Keynote.

Does that work?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
Thank you for answering. I'm still not there. On my Mac I emailed it to my gmail account. On the iPad, I went into gmail and found the mailed ppt, which is inside a gray box. I touched it and it opened up into the slide show itself. On the upper LH corner of the screen is a "Done" box and on the upper RH corner is an icon of a curved arrow inside a tiny rectangle. I touch that and get a menu with 3 choices: Open in iBooks, Open in ..., Print. I choose the middle one Open in ... and get 3 new choices: Open in iBooks, iAnnotate PDF, Dropbox. None of those is Keynote.

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The behaviour suggests the iPad isn't reconising the the file as a powerpoint file.

Are you using .ppt files or .pptx ?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
Neither! I had created pdf versions of the ppt's and in my early morning torpor completely failed to notice that I was trying to import those from gmail into Keynote. When I went back and emailed the real ppt's it worked just fine. Thanks ever so much!

Er.... I still don't know why I can't get the ppt's into iTunes. Can anyone solve that one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.