Welcome Video Loop?

Reaction score
I'm running 10.5.8 on my 13' macbook. I was having an issue where I'd log into my main profile, but it would load my desktop and then log me back out. I looked around to try and fix it, and I decided to do a factory reset by deleting .applesetupdone in SUM. Upon reboot, I got the welcome video like i was supposed to, but when I click continue to choose my keyboard layout it just goes back to the welcome video. any help? btw I don't have access to a restore disk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I had an issue identical to this a while back with my wife's user account. I beat my head against a wall trying to root out the culprit, and in the end, I had to delete the account and re-migrate it from a Time Machine backup.

What you should do is user Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to make a clone of your system to an external drive. You obviously will need to do this from another admin account. After making the clone, delete the user on your system, then use the Migration Assistant to migrate your user back over from the cloned backup. That should get you back in action.

OP
W
Reaction score
Can I do that without being able to get past the welcome video? i'm not a vet mac user yet haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Can I do that without being able to get past the welcome video? i'm not a vet mac user yet haha

I forgot to consider that part. No, you can't. You are actually pretty screwed here. If you don't have an install disc, you'll need to buy one. Just get Snow Leopard if you have at least 1 GB of RAM, though it runs more comfortably with at least 2 GB. Run the installer off the disc and install OS X to an external drive. Once done, migrate your user and data from the internal drive. Once you are certain you have everything you need, reinstall OS X from scratch to the internal. Or clone your new installation on the external drive to the internal drive.

I am a bit concerned that you are having trouble even getting past that Welcome screen. I've never tried or even heard of that trick before, so I don't know if it is even supposed to work. I certainly wouldn't have tried or recommended it. But your problems to start with may be from bigger hardware issues, like a failing drive, and will need to be addressed. But first things first…. get into a bootable status on an external drive and recover your files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.