• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

FCP Users, Need tips

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
I am starting to get into FCP and its a blast.

Right now, Im just on a MacbookPro 13", and it definitely gets the job done. When it comes to the big files, it takes a while to render however.

My apps are on my SSD and data on my HDD (dual drives).

For instance, today I was editing a clip, and the entire size was about 12Gb, which is a pretty big file! It worked, sometimes it froze up for a minute and lagged a bit, but the rendering was slow!

Would it be a good idea to get something such as a Media drive? A RAID 0 NAS Media server type set up?
Would this help speed the rendering?

I suppose I could compress the files before working with them, but I want to know if there is an alternative to that.

Just curious if you all have any tips for me, thanks!

Reaction score
Speed up rendering by increasing CPU power and a faster video card if you are talking about FCP X or Premiere Pro. Lots of RAM and a speedy disk helps too. Your laptop is limiting you in this regard. If you are talking about playing back a giant HD file on that laptop, then yes, a RAID array will help the computer playback the file more smoothly.

In the Premiere Pro land, our users are operating with 12 or more cores, 16-24GB of RAM, NVIDIA video cards with tons of cores, and high speed RAID arrays. These are the kinds of rigs you want for high end work and for the fastest rendering possible.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
Wow. That is crazy! I can't afford any of that. But thanks for the input!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
Haha! That's great.
Maybe someday if I get good enough

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.