Turn off/mute/disable your Mac's startup sound/chime

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5-inch 2011. 2.5 GHz Intel Quad core i5, 12GB RAM, Lion 10.7.2
I couldn't find anything on here about this, found this elsewhere and thought i would post as i do know lots of Mac users that have been trying to do this for a while Turn off/mute/disable your Mac

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just want to point out that the author states it's not compatible with Lion. However, I've been using it since Leopard and it still works with Lion although once in awhile it get's finicky and the startup sound goes full blast.

And thanks for posting it again although it has been posted several times before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You can just turn the volume right down on the Mac. Mine never chimes on restart.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Often wonder why one would want to get rid of the 'all good' chime on startup? Can understand not wanting to hear the 'chimes of death'!

Reaction score
Often wonder why one would want to get rid of the 'all good' chime on startup? Can understand not wanting to hear the 'chimes of death'!

Chimes of Death is right. 2:30 in the morning chime to view mac forums wakes wife up = death for me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

:) Don't worry Harry, I don't have mine turned completely off, but lowered down to about half way. Keeps the noise level low enough not to wake the family up.

Reaction score
Turn off startup sound

Arcana StartupSound.prefpane 1.1b3 works fine for me. I had also 'Psst' installed, but that did not do the job. Arcana's prefpane works since a week.

MacOS 10.8.2, 27 inch iMac, late 2012. Was delivered in January 2013.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm surprised to hear the Arcana Preference Pane works with your version of Mountain Lion. The author specifically says it only works for OS X versions up to Snow Leopard. It did work for me when I was using Lion but it does not work with Mountain Lion.

Reaction score
Well, I mentioned that I am using the newest iMac available (27 inch late 2013). On this one Arcana works, not on the older ones. It did not work on my old iMac (2008). And why to get rid of the startup noise? It is just too loud. I used to be reluctant to start my Mac early in the morning (4 am) when my neighbors are still asleep. Also I don't find the startup noise sexy in any way, just shocking. And turning down the volume or plugging in headphones does not work at all. And I like to shut my Mac down when I am out of my home for more than a few hours to avoid wasting energy and polluting my environment unnecessary. Well, unnecessary loud noise is acoustic pollution, right? Life without the Apple's startup noise is like paradise, just the beach is missing.....

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm glad to hear it's working with the new iMac, but again I'm surprised that it does. I'm using the "StartNinja" application which does work with my 2011 iMac and Mountain Lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.