Permission problems

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've lurked around here for a while and have decided to join after having a mac word problem, I'm hoping for some advice!

I use word everyday for work, for the new year I moved some directories from 2011 to a new 2012 folder, I can open them okay but when I go to save them I get "word cannot save this document due to a naming or permissions error on the destination volume".

I copied the directories back to the 2011 folder and rebooted but can't get it right again.

Does anyone know how I can correct this.

Cheers
Wayne

PS I run lion, word on a 2010 imac, word and lion always updated.
and I do not use external drives

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are both the 2011 and 2012 folders located as sub folders in your documents folder listed under your user name?

MacIntosh HD/Users/your user name/Documents/2011 or 2012?

Word will default to the Documents folder for "save" and "open". You can change that under preferences but it's not advisable.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, they are user/documents/work/ then split 2012 and 2011 subfolders.

I was going to copy all work folders to another drive delete all works folders, maybe reboot then re-install the work folders, would that help?

Cheers

OP
W
Reaction score
Just for an interest I copied all files to an external drive, deleted the ones on my imac then reinstalled the other files again, I still cant save, on the mac or an external.
I'm going back to the macbook until i can hopefully get this solved.

Cheers

OP
W
Reaction score
Sorted, my bad, I had a underscore instead of a hyphen in the file name, I only picked up on it when I changed from doc to docx which allowed me to save it, then I spotted it straight after!

Cost me 4-5 hours of frustrations.

Thanks for your help chscag.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.