I'm not completely convinced my logic board is broken... Need second opinions!

Reaction score
I can't recall the specific specs of my Macbook Pro, but it's a 15 inch unibody that I purchased in August 2011.

About a month ago, I spilled water on it. I followed all the right steps, unplugged it let it dry out, etc. but when I took it to my school's IT desk they told me it was damaged. However, they seemed to think it was only localized to the area that controls the LED screen.

I sent it into iResq to have it repaired and they told me I needed to have my display cable replaced in addition to my logic board and that the repairs would cost me about $1100.

I haven't taken it to the Apple store yet, but I'm just curious as to if it actually IS my logic board that is broken. When I turn it on, everything runs just fine. The keyboard lights up, I can hear the hard drive whirring, and there's no problems with the USB or charger ports. The only thing that appears to be wrong with it is that my screen is dead. BUT if I shine a flashlight on it, I can see the screen perfectly! It looks just like it normally would.

SO is this still a logic board problem or something else?

Reaction score
Have you tried hooking it up to a monitor? see if that work. Im not 110% sure if the same wiring harness thats used for the 'onboard display' effects the display port. its worth it shot, if it works fine on a monitor/display then chances are the logic board is just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forum Sarah.

If i was you, i would be looking at hooking it up to a external monitor first and see if the Machine is working. This way you can see the OS try the keyboard and more trouble shooting if need be.
If it works on a Ext Monitor then it isn't the Logic Board.
HTH

Cheers

OP
S
Reaction score
Okay thanks! I'm sorry, I'm kind of inept when it comes to computers, how would I hook it up to an external monitor?

Reaction score
Okay thanks! I'm sorry, I'm kind of inept when it comes to computers, how would I hook it up to an external monitor?

macbookpro_2011_side.jpg

Assuming the side of your MacBook Pro looks like the above picture, you will have to get a Thunderbolt cable (should have been provided i believe) and connect that to an external monitor, or TV. Chances are you will need an adaptor either to go to VGA/HDMI/DVI.

Im not 110% sure what comes with the 2011 MacBooks, I dont have a thunderbolt drive, but that is the port to hook up to an external monitor. Match the input port on the monitor to an adaptor that will allow you to use the thunderbolt port. I promise is not as complicated as i just made it sound lol

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I would try it on an external display, but if you can see if find with a flashlight on the display then it's the part that powers the LCD's Backlight that is messed up. That also usually plugs into the Logic board, so it still could be the board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And a board is a complete prefabricated unit ~ no bits and pieces. All or nothing. And having spilled liquid it is quite a reasonable diagnosis alas.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I sent it into iResq to have it repaired and they told me I needed to have my display cable replaced in addition to my logic board and that the repairs would cost me about $1100.

I agree with Harry. If iResq said the logic board needed replacement, it likely does. They're a very reliable authorized Apple repair service and would not have made that recommendation otherwise. The problem with spills is the long term damage that shows up later due to corrosion and other problems that surface.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with Harry. If iResq said the logic board needed replacement, it likely does. They're a very reliable authorized Apple repair service and would not have made that recommendation otherwise. The problem with spills is the long term damage that shows up later due to corrosion and other problems that surface.

agreed, That is why the Backlight is getting no power since it all plugs into the Logic board.

just had someone spill liquid into my iBook G4 that has been a faithful friend. Some got into the Logic board. I was out of the room. came in and yanked the power and battery and tried to save it but parts on the board were blown from the liquid. Sad but it's gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
LVDS cable connector probably has blown pins. I have seen many times, small amout of fluid trapped between cable connector and socket.
Socket is fixed to board so not a replaceable item.
I would use an otoscope, or magnifying glass to view LVDS connector on board first to be certain of the blown pins, they will be blackened or copperish colored not the tin silver they should be. If all silver, then I would view LVDS cable connector pins, should be gold, if blackened then cable replacement would do the trick. If pins are gold then inverter has blown, replace the screen.
Aaron

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry to hear that Dennis. The iBook G4 has always been one of my favorite Apple machines. The only thing that compares with it for size and compactness today is the MacBook Air.

Reaction score
Similar issue, but wait....

So exactly the same thing happened to my daughter's 13" white unibody at college. I had her turn it upside down to drain out as much water as possible and then not turn it back on until she could take it to an Apple dealer. Of course, they just immediately told her it was not ever going to work again and that she would have to buy a new one.

When she brought it home several weeks later, I powered it on and it worked - at least for a little over a day. The next morning, I nada the same problems with the screen that Sarah did. The screen was actually displaying data, but no backlight. Here's the weird thing - if I remove the battery and run AC power only, it works perfectly!

Thoughts? I hate to just spend $500 on a logic board when it seems there could be something else wrong here. Our local PeachMac stores won't touch it, lol.

Reaction score
My niece spilled water on hers, it wouldn't work. She took it to the Apple store and told them the truth, she cried and said she needed it for work and told them her boss was going to kill her because her boss wanted her to buy her a Windows PC and she complained until they bought her a Macbook Pro, they fixed it for free. Can't say it's going to work in your case, but...............

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
Often, little parts of the logic board can get toasted. It might be the teeny tiny bit that controls the LED backlight, but that doesn't really matter.

If you can get it to run on an external monitor (maybe even take it to an apple store and see if they'll hook it up to a apple display for you) then I'd say you probably have yourself a really nice desktop.

I totally agree with chscag, though. You are likely to see long-term problems.

Reaction score
Often, little parts of the logic board can get toasted. It might be the teeny tiny bit that controls the LED backlight, but that doesn't really matter.

If you can get it to run on an external monitor (maybe even take it to an apple store and see if they'll hook it up to a apple display for you) then I'd say you probably have yourself a really nice desktop.

I totally agree with chscag, though. You are likely to see long-term problems.

See, that's the whole weirdness - it works without the battery and if I let it sit in the closet for a few weeks and then power it on (with battery inserted and plugged into AC), it works fine until the next day, like something is heating up and causing it to stop working. It's just strange because you would expect it to either work or not, rather than work for a few hours than the LED stops coming on. By the way, I forgot to mention that the LED comes on when initially starting the MacBook in any configuration (battery or no battery) , but turns off as soon as the desktop appears!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.