Any Known issues with Macbook Pro SSD +MCE Optibay HD Upgrades?

Reaction score
recently i've been wanting to upgrade my Macbook Pro (A1278) to a SSD drive, as well as remove the optical drive and replace it with the MCE OptiDrive and a 1TB HD.

I know this is a fairly common upgrade, just looking for advice and or known issues from people who have done this upgrade already.

MacBook Pro A1278: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53ghz 'Penryn', 4 gig ram, Running OSX 10.6.8.

Side note: while im in there i will also be going from 4 gig ram to 8 gig ram, might as well.

Any and all advice will be much appreciated :)

Reaction score
I did the RAM and SSD (not the drive) recently. Piece of cake, no issues. I found the the easiest way to get on was to have a Lion USB install disk ready and boot from that to set everything up. In my experience, a fresh install works much better than an upgrade.

I'm considering the optical drive swap, but I have a 256GB SSD in there, so I am not particularly concerned about it and it isn't my main media machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.