Mac Mini Wont Shut Down After SSD Install.

Reaction score
Heres the Gist,

I have a late 2009 Mac Mini (A1283) 2.53 GHz, 4gig ram. that i've been running as a media server. Recently the harddrive died in it. I decided to install a Intel 320 Series GEN3 SSD Drive. The install went fine and clean, Mac booted up perfectly, installed a new version of OSX 10.6, no issues, did all the updates. The only software I installed was Plex Media Server (Plex - A Complete Media Solution) and Google Chrome.

Now my issue is, when i go to shut the Mac Mini down, all that happens is the dock disappears and all the desktop icons then it just sits there, nothing happens. I reset the PMU and it still does the same thing, except now the fan is on high all the time.

Other things i've tried:

Verifiying and Repairing the Disc Permissions
Verifiying and Repairing the Disc
Closing all apps before shut down
disconnecting all network drives and external drives before shut down
reseting the PMU

When I get home im going to try:

Resetting the SMU.
Running YASU (Although its a fresh install with no apps so not to sure what it will find)

Im looking for any and all other suggestions to try. I was considering upgrading to 10.7 to see if its just a software glitch, but im not to sure why this would be happening now.

thanks for any and all advice in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
I see all software checks above. What concerns me is the fan spin up. Does the fan crank up only on shut down or is it cranked during use?

Safe then sorry answer:
Power down, remove power source and open the mini again and check all connections, inspect all connectors closely to be certain nothing has been damaged and that they are all seated correctly in their respective sockets. Some connectors will damage very easily if pulled incorrectly. Be certain they are all set in their appropriate sockets.
HDD sensor in place?

Fan spin ups I can recall are damaged or non connected cables, failed sensor. Or something I may not be aware of.

Anything you touched upon replacement double check.

Aaron

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Just a question...

if you open up terminal and enter

sudo shutdown -h now

does it shutdown correctly?

OP
circa_bc
Reaction score
I see all software checks above. What concerns me is the fan spin up. Does the fan crank up only on shut down or is it cranked during use?

As soon as I hit the power button the fan starts rocking. This only started right after the PMU reboot. I was running it for almost a whole day without the fan kicking into high gear. as soon as i did the PMU and hit the power button the fan hasnt turned down since.

OP
circa_bc
Reaction score
So I got it to properly shut down this afternoon; Here is where im at now,

I reset the SMU and the fan no longer runs at full blast (awesome).

now here is the current problem;
I have 2 LaCie D2 Quadra external harddrives daisy chained together via FireWire 800.

If I boot the Mac Mini up with the Firewire 800 connected, even if i disconnect the drives the Mac mini wont shut down.

If i boot up the mac mini without the drives connected, it will shut down without any issue.

Anyone recommend a way to see what/how the mac is accessing the 2 drives? All thats stored on them is Media, literally only .mkv files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Resetting the SMC by unplugging from mains for at least 15 seconds re-sets the fan control unit to default. Your problem is with the external drives. Try them one at a time which may be the only solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.