Iomega Drive Not Seen

Reaction score
Hi, I have an iomega ultramax 500 external dive which was working just fine yesterday morning but now is not mounting to my mac, I have an imac and am running osx 10.7.2, I have tried moving the cables around and a usb cable no difference is made, on the system information under fire it shows an unknown device which must be the drive as it's the only thing connected, the drive has my time machine back up on as well as some non backed up photos and other documents, I am not technically minded an am a complete loss and any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

J.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hard drives can die suddenly without warning and the same applies whether it's an internal or external model. The electronics on the drive may have failed and now it won't mount.

If the data on the drive is important, you can try data recovery software. If that doesn't work, you may be able to remove the drive from the iOmega case and mount it in an external carrier or with an adapter and get at your data that way. However, there is no guaranty that it will work.

Reaction score
If it truly has failed, externally mounting it is the way to go. If you are just going to miss time machine backups count yourself lucky. I had a WD drive in a previous imac fail and was only able to download files in 10 min intervals with 1hr resting periods between but was able to save all my project data, well worth the labor if the data is dire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
#1 go to fix all question coming at you...

did you restart your Mac?

heres number 2

is the hard drives power chord plugged in?

good luck

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi, I have restarted the machine, checked power, cables etc (replaced firewire cable) and also done a RAM reset thingy, all to no avail, looks like external mounting is going to be the way to go, all I need do now is figure out how to do it!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be careful removing it from the original iOmega case. It should be mounted to an adapter connector inside which is part of the case itself. If you can get the case part way off you should be able to move the drive away from the connector.

Also take note of which interface it's using. It should be SATA but make sure before you buy an external carrier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.