Erlang Help

Reaction score
Hi, im very new to using terminal and im having problems with installing erlang. I have followed the instructions on this site Installing Erlang on Mac OS X to install erlang. Now i think the installation ran well but I cant seem to use the command "erl" because terminal doesnt recognize it. What should I do?

PS
I downloaded and have xcode on my computer which is a requirement to run erlang. Im 10.5.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
do a ..

find / |grep -i erl

if it replies with something, than the directory it's located in just isn't in your path.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The -i switch is used to ignore case and therefore, you shouldn't need it if you know for a fact that the binary (or symlink) is called erl. Exclude it from the command and try again.

Also of note - there should be a space between the | and grep:
Code:
find / | grep -i erl
You may also have to throw sudo in front of all that - find sometimes complains that it doesn't have privileges to read certain directories.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Read his statement again, FIND is saying it's an invalid option (which is is for find), I'm gonna bet the pipe (|) is missing

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Read his statement again, FIND is saying it's an invalid option (which is is for find), I'm gonna bet the pipe (|) is missing
Haha, evidently my morning coffee hadn't kicked in yet. My mistake. This is what happens when you try to think before your brain is ready.

Indeed you're correct - you get the unknown option error if the pipe is missing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha, evidently my morning coffee hadn't kicked in yet. My mistake. This is what happens when you try to think before your brain is ready.

Indeed you're correct - you get the unknown option error if the pipe is missing.

It's probably a lowercase "L" in his syntax. That won't work :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.