Initial Backup to Ext HD Fail - can't remove Adobe AIR?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i Mac 5,1
I wasn't sure if I needed to post this as a new topic, as it has been straggling at the end of my other post and I'm hung up until I can get some direction. Hoping you can please help me.

Bought a new Ext HD to use as backup to the Ext HD I'm currently running on so my system is backed up before I attempt replacing the internal HD.

Ran the SuperDuper all last night (10+ hours) only to get to the last couple of GiBs and have an error - apparently caused by something called AIR.

I have no idea what this is or does, but have spent the entire day today trying to get help from Adobe on how to uninstall whatever this is.

Being that I'm on OS 10.4.11 this is what I see inside my Finder:

/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer

and

/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller

If I click on the Uninstaller, it gives me a message that says "An error occurred while uninstalling Adobe AIR. Uninstallation may not be allowed by your administrator. Please contact your administrator."

I am the only user/owner/administrator

The Adobe Chat person had no clue and told me to go post my question in their Forums (where it looks like many people get no answers.) 99% of their info is for newer Macs running Lion.

I found one area in their Troubleshooting (but don't know if this is for newer Macs) that has to do with typing things in Terminal, which I am completely clueless about and afraid to try without asking you guys if I should do this.

They say to type this in Terminal:

Follow these steps for the manual solution:
1. Using Finder, navigate to your Applications folder and look for a file (not a folder) named "Adobe".* If one exists, rename or delete it.
2. Open the Terminal application in your Applications/Utilities folder.* Run the following commands:
3. sudo chmod -R ug=rwx,o=rx /Applications/Adobe
4. sudo chmod -R ug=rwx,o=rx ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/
5. sudo chmod -R ug=rwx,o=rx ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/AIR/
6. sudo chmod -R ug=rwx,o=rx /Users/Shared/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/
Next, adjust the ownership of a particular folder. Run the following two commands in Terminal, noting the user name response of the "whoami" command.* Replace username with your username in the next command:
1. whoami
2. sudo chown -R username:staff ~/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/AIR/
Close the Terminal application and rerun the Adobe AIR *installer.*

I know NOTHING about Terminal.

Should I do this???? Am I going to cause more headaches?

Can I just not trash these and try to backup again?:

/Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework
/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Application Installer.app
/Applications/Utilities/Adobe AIR Uninstaller.app

Any help you can give me would be hugely appreciated!

Thank you!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.