Can the "arrange by" feature be part of the default view options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Hello,

I managed to sort out my problem with the greyed out "use as defaults" button (see my earlier post) in the Finder but there's one thing I'd like to ask:

If I use the new "arrange by" feature in the Finder, click the "use as defaults" button in View options, the "arrange by" setting is not kept when I switch to a different folder (all the other "default" settings ARE kept and applied though).

Could you please comment on this strange behaviour?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Depends on where you are and where you go, I think. If you change the top level folder, all the enclosed folders should follow suit after "use as defaults" is invoked. If you start lower in the tree, and move up, it doesn't work.

You really could have added this question to your other post instead of starting a new thread.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (2010), 1.86GHz C2D, 4GB, 128GB SSD | Power Mac G4 DA 466MHz, 1GB, OS X 10.4.11, OS 9
Well, pressing the "use as defaults" button means that:

1) The settings of the current folder will become default

and (this is important!!)

2) All the folders I open from this point on will have the same settings under the condition I haven't visited them earlier (If I have, they will have the pesky .DS_Store file stored in them and won't take the default settings)

To repeat my problem:

When I press the "use as defaults" button and visit any folder, it DOES take my default settings EXCEPT the "arrange by" setting.

Does it work in the same way for you, guys? If so, is that a bug?

You really could have added this question to your other post instead of starting a new thread.

I could and should have, sorry.

EDIT: I do delete all the .DS_Store files before trying to change the defaults. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.