OSX Lion login issue (iMac)

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, so please be gentle.....

I'm also new to iMacs, previously on the dark side (windows7)

We occasionally get a problem on boot up, when the login pictures are shown I click on the picture but nothing happens, it's not the mouse, because the pointer is moving. I also have a trackpad and it does the same.

I have to turn the power completely off and start again, usually after doing that it works fine.

Any ideas?
Thanks

pete

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Can you try to use the arrows to choose from the available users and hit enter to select them? I have my iMac login automatically for me on start up and I never turn my machine off so I haven't seen this problem in particular..

OP
P
Reaction score
Ill give that a go, but it isn't just the login pictures, it's also the shutdown / restart buttons as well.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
When did this start? Was there a system change made just before it started (this includes application installation)? Does this occur on ALL users on the login screen (with the shutdown/restart buttons effected I would think so)?

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi mike, its been goin on for a few weeks ago, my wife installs apps from the app store occasionally, but it's difficult to know if it happened after one of those was installed.

It does effect the shutdown/restart buttons as well.

The only thing that may be a difference is the setup of 'find my mac' and the guest login it creates.

Pete

OP
P
Reaction score
Oh another thing, don't know whether it's related... On boot up I no longer get the sound I used to get, it's now silent.

Pete

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You mean the startup sound right after you hit the power button?

If so, try resetting the PRAM. You hit the Power button and hold at the same time Command+Option+P+R keys. Keep all 4 keys down and it should reboot and you should then hear the Startup sound. If so keep them down through one more reboot.

Also do check to make sure in System Preferences, Sound that the Volume and Alert Volume are turned up!!

Let us know if that solves that and I will try and attack your other issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.