Problems ripping DVDs (home movies)

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I am new to this forum and not the most technical person in the world. I have a new Macbook pro and about 50 home movies that are on DVD. I downloaded Handbrake and have had luck ripping about 25 of the 50 DVDs. On the other ones, the ripping stops about halfway through and the DVD drive makes a lot of noise. Sometimes, I have to shut it down to get the DVD out. Has anyone had this issue before? Is it because of the labels I have on the DVDs? I had labels on ALL of the 50 DVDs. Any ideas on how I can get around this issue? Thanks!

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
There may be a problem with the actual DVD or how it was burnt or if it was not finalized. Do you have access to another DVD drive?

OP
P
Reaction score
All of the DVDs were burned the exact same way on the exact same computer, so I don't think it is a DVD issue.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It has to be an issue with something to do with the DVD. Sounds like the Optical drive in the mac is having issues reading some of your DVD's.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks, Dennis. Do you think it could have anything to do with the labels? I am trying to figure out if it is a hardware problem or if it is something to do with the condition of the DVDs.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What kind of labels you have on the DVD's? If they are Stick On labels, those have caused me many issues in many different optical drives, but even more so, Slot load drives.

OP
P
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head, Dennis. They are stick on labels and it is a slot load drive. Do you think removing the labels may help? Any ideas on the best way to remove a label? Finally, did I do any damage to my drive by trying to rip these DVDs?

Reaction score
Do you think removing the labels may help? Any ideas on the best way to remove a label? Finally, did I do any damage to my drive by trying to rip these DVDs?
It couldn't have been anything too bad, man. And yes, try removing them. My dormmate and I were trying to watch his copy of the Suicide Season DVD form Bring Me The Horizon, but it was rattling around in the drive and it sounded as though it wasn't spinning. Discs one and two worked, though - they're the audio ones. There's no telling it just the labels are it, but no harm in trying. It's certainly possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.