Streaming video with Mac Mini wirelessly

Reaction score
Hi, I am fairly new to the mac world but I was wondering if it is possible to stream video/music wirelessly from my mac mini on to my TV using just my existing equipment. I do have an Xbox 360 and an intel mac min 2011 (OS X Lion). I'd prefer to not buy apple TV.

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Honestly the easiest answer is drop the money for an Apple TV - and use iTunes to handle your movies. If you don't want to do that you could

a - use a virtual machine, bootcamp, etc and use windows media to stream to your xbox 360.
b - Hook your Mini directly to your TV.
c - try boxee
Gettting Video from your Mac on Xbox360, Boxee, and AppleTV | JasonCypret.com

Unfortunately the xbox and Macs don't play that well together. I have an old Windows laptop I use for a media server - that I can stream to the Xbox. I have not tried boxee yet. I think there are a few other solutions besides boxee as well.

That being said - I gave up trying to fight it - everything is encoded for Apple products, itunes stores my encoded movies, and I am able to stream to my apple tvs as well as get the media onto my iOS devices.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
There is an APP to let your Mini behave and show up as an AirPlay option just like the ATV2.
I'm at work right now and I don't remember the name of it, but it is cheap and works very well. I use it all the time.

EDIT: I'm fairly certain this is the APP, and if I remember correctly it cost me $5. Just checked and the current price is $7.99 USD

http://www.airserverapp.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I guess I should also mention Airfoil - lets you play anything to an Airplay capable device.
Rogue Amoeba | Airfoil for Mac: Wireless Audio Around Your House
So you can send your audio to Airport Expresses and ATV2 from any source on your Mac. It isn't cheap but it works quite well. That doesn't help the current situation that the OP mentioned but I'll put it out there for completeness. I have this on all my Computers so I can stream to anything and from anything anywhere.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have a Mac Mini that I use for my Photography Workstation connected to a Viewsonic 27 inch Monitor. A couple of months ago I borrowed my ATV2 from the downstairs TV so I could easily show my wife Youtube Videos, also hooked it to some decent speakers and I streamed Music from the iPad as well.

Got to be kind of a PITR though because switching back and forth between the ATV2 and Mini required me to use the setting menu on the monitor and scroll throug a couple of screens. Then I found the AirServer APP. Have to say it is the best $5 to $8 (can't remember exactly what I paid) I've spent lately.
The ATV2 is back downstairs and now whenever I want to play a song or run accross a Youtube video on my iPad to share I just hit the AirPlay button and select the Mini.
Life is good!

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for all the different recommendations. For now, the connect360 app seems to be doing the trick. I might have to take the ATV2 plunge at some point I guess. Time will tell ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.