Performa 467 start problem

Reaction score
Last week I turned on my Performa 467 and it started just fine. Today, it starts and shows me a blinking disk icon, like it wants a boot disk. I don't have any disks for it anymore. I'm trying to get it ready to sell, but now I can't get past this trouble screen when starting it.

Is there an override keystroke I can use? Or another way to fix this if I don't have any disks? Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Last week I turned on my Performa 467 and it started just fine. Today, it starts and shows me a blinking disk icon, like it wants a boot disk. I don't have any disks for it anymore. I'm trying to get it ready to sell, but now I can't get past this trouble screen when starting it.

Is there an override keystroke I can use? Or another way to fix this if I don't have any disks? Thanks!

First of all let's do a "reality check" here. The Performa 467 is a computer from 1993...so that would mean that it's around 18 years old. 18 years old is pretty old...especially if this computer has seen some sort of continuous use over all these years.

The blinking "?" question is probably one of the most frequent questions we get. It usually means 1 of 2 things:

1. No useable System Folder exists on the HD. Which is probably unlikely in this case since you mentioned that it started fine last week.

2. The hard drive is dead. This is very possible...since it is an 18 year-old computer.

You also mentioned that you were going to sell this computer. Just in case you wanted to know...if you can get $10 (MAYBE $20) bucks for this computer...you would be very very lucky. If this computer needs a replacement HD...first...it's going to be hard to find a SCSI HD...and second...a used one will probably cost you $10-$20 bucks (the total value of the computer).

AND...if you are lucky enough to find a compatible HD...AND are willing to spend the money...you will need an OS install disk (which you mentioned not having).

This may be "doorstop" time for this computer (you could try selling it for parts).

- Nick

Tim Fake

Reaction score
For what it is worth I disagree with him on the price, there is such a thing as a collectors item computer and this computer model was made for less then a month before being discontinued.
I have one and I am planning on selling it on eBay, and from my research I think I will be able to get away with 700-1,000 USD for it.
That's all I will say.

However as far as your disk problem goes I am not much help as I am facing almost the same thing on mine, I turn it on, get the boot sound, then, nothing... It just sits there and acts like it was made in 1993...
oh, wait, bad example, it was...
:D

Hope things work out for ya. Good luck with that
- Someone that has spent over 50% of his life behind a computer. (and it was not on games)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
For what it is worth I disagree with him on the price, there is such a thing as a collectors item computer and this computer model was made for less then a month before being discontinued.
I have one and I am planning on selling it on eBay, and from my research I think I will be able to get away with 700-1,000 USD for it.
That's all I will say.
You might be interested to know that you just replied to an over 10.5+ year old conversation. A lot can happen in 10.5 years! Lol

But still no way a Performa 467 will sell for $700-$1000 in 2022. You better do some additional research!

Here's an eBay auction for a Performa 467...Buy It Now price is $268.20. And this is wayyyy over-priced!

"Expired eBay link removed"

Good luck with your sale.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.