Powerbook G4 Charging?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
I just recentley fixed my old Powerbook and have been using it. And yesterday the charing stoped working. I picked up the computer by the screen and I heard kind of a click. The charger still works on another powerbook so it is not the charger. I put a broken charger in the port and wiggled and twisted it around and it lit up green but did not charge it (that is why ir is broken) then I plugged my charger in and it worked again. Then as I closed the computer it stopped working and now when I open it it does not work. Then I again tryed the charger on another powerbook and it worked fine. So my qustion is could there be a short from picking it up by the screen or something wrong inside the port? What could cause this? If needed I can take apart the computer because I installed a new hard drive and it was easy for me.

Edit: The click may have just been a normal noise because I still hear it when I push the screen all the way back. I just realy need to know whats wrong because I need to use my computer!

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
I guess I will just take it apart and see whats up. If anything is broken I can use parts from and old powerbook that I have that does not work and is beat up.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
I looked down in the charger port/hole with a light and it looks like there are some prongs or something that are bent and now my charger will not fit all the way into the hole. So if I take it apart will I be able to take just then charger port out of the computer and try to fix it?

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
Could I swap the board and port from another powerbook I have? It is the same model and everything it just does not work and I use it as a parts computer. I know for a fact that the charging works though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Could I swap the board and port from another powerbook I have? It is the same model and everything it just does not work and I use it as a parts computer. I know for a fact that the charging works though.

If it's the same model as your current working PowerBook, a swap should work just fine. :)

OP
Y
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which One? Haha
Thats what I will do. Thanks! And will the ifixit.com instructions work well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Thats what I will do. Thanks! And will the ifixit.com instructions work well?

If you can find a specific guide for replacing a d/c inboard for your model of Powerbook, yes. I've always found ifixit to be very detailed and accurate. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.