Upgrading Ram For My Macbook ???

Reaction score
Hi

I'm running a Macbook 5.1 OS-X Leopard 10.5. I'm looking to upgrade from 2G Ram to 4G. Do i need a specific type of Ram for the Mac? or am i ok to purchase any make. Also is it safe to do the install myself?

Pretty new to Macs.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
use crucial.com to know the type of ram you need, not necessary this make. ram install is the easiest to do, ifixit.com should help with pictures and it is a piece of cake, make sure the chips are fitted tight. And you are in business.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Thanks.

Since buying the Macbook I've not yet looked inside so not sure what brand of Ram is already in there. If upgrading with Crucial will there be a issue if both Ram moduals are of a different make ? or would i need to stick with one brand only.

Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks.

Since buying the Macbook I've not yet looked inside so not sure what brand of Ram is already in there. If upgrading with Crucial will there be a issue if both Ram moduals are of a different make ? or would i need to stick with one brand only.

Thanks.

As long as the ram you use is the correct type for the computer...the brand of the ram really doesn't matter (ram is ram for the most part). Also...if you're upgrading from 2 to 4 gig...you'll be replacing all the ram anyway (removing the 2 sticks that are in the computer currently...and replace with two new sticks of higher density).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It's probably Samsung. According to Mactracker you can put 8GB in a macbook5,1.

Crucial is excellent RAM, as is OWC.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Excellent, thanks for all your help guys. :D

Best
Musicmad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.