slow system when web is on

Reaction score
Seem to have an issue. Imac quad core OSX 10.6.6 When loading a web page on firefox or safari. Such as my homepage spaceweather.com which is a clean site. It will partially load and then will sit for ages while in the lower left of FF it shows something like google analytics Or Facebook.com On the web page my cursor turns to the spinning wheel. Even after it finally loads and brings my cursor back. There is a page loading spinner in the tab. I have seen this spinning while there is no apparent activity. No popups or redirects either.

This morning when it did this. I clicked on the desktop to bring finder up and clicked to go to activity monitor. The spinning wheel came up and sat there. 5 minutes later. still spinning. couldn't bring up the dock, nor anything else. Had to shut down and restart. I've only had this thing for two weeks and I long for my G4 Imac. I've only downloaded two programs. senuti, And ClamXv. The clam scan was clean save a couple of emails in my junk box. I made the mistake of using migration manager to transfer data from the G4. I just wanted it to transfer my tunes and photos. it sent everything to include all my old classic programs.

Maybe a clean install of OSX and new FireFox?

I have been using TM on an external HD.
I haven't had a widows machine since the windows 3 days. But I feel like I'm back.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
disable/remove ClamXv and see what happens..you don't need an antivirus software running on your Mac taking up resources..

OP
K
Reaction score
disable/remove ClamXv and see what happens..you don't need an antivirus software running on your Mac taking up resources..

The problem predates the ClamXv. I don't run it in the back ground or have it launch at start up. I just wonder if some how. I got some bad code from the net. But again I'm not getting redirects or more than normal popup warnings from FF.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Does the slow down happen only on your site or other sites as well? Your site loaded up very quickly on my work laptop in Chrome.

OP
K
Reaction score
Does the slow down happen only on your site or other sites as well? Your site loaded up very quickly on my work laptop in Chrome.

It happens a lot. in fact it's happened going to this forum several times. Generally speaking. A site will pop up on the browser rather quickly, it appears to be loaded ,at least visually. but the little blue activity spinner in the tab will spin for quite some time. earlier today. upon loading spaceweather. I went and made lunch, changed a lite in the fridge. upon returning to my Imac 30 minute later. The little spinner was still spinning indicating it was still loading. as of this eve. (I'm in Germany) I brought forward activity monitor and placed it along side of FF. in the space of 10 minutes it logged 8 recent hangs. Rebooted. a few minutes later 4 hangs. the FF icon in the monitor will have in red "FireFox is not responding" A page will even hang and give me the spinning cursor just from scrolling the page. but it seems that after being on a site for awhile things will settle down and not hang so much. I can't locate an uninstall for FireFox so I'm unsure of how to totally get ride of it and do a reload.

I swear there must be a microsoft machine under the shinny Imac cover.

OP
K
Reaction score
May have solved my issue. When I migrated from my old G4. I made a mistake and sent over EVERYTHING to the new Imac. To include all my old classic programs. NetScape Navigator. Just a ton of crap that is no use to the new OS. I must have also sent over Plist files for something that the new machine didn't like but was not bad enough to cause a failure. So I went through everything and deleted my Plist files along with the old classic files. So far no slow downs or hangs since the purge.

I must say however. That I feel as if apple is moving away from their old ways. Why the migration program would not alert me to the fact that incompatible programs and old Plist files from OS 9 were being sent. Is beyond me. But I suppose it's my fault for not having enrolled in a computer/software engineering course before I bought a new Imac. That's why I say I feel like I've returned to the microsoft dark side.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.