my mac is very slow

Reaction score
Hello community,

I'm having problems with my mac perfomance, when i start my mac it takes several minutes to start the OS. Also, if i have many applications running the perfomance starts to decrease. All this behavior started when i made the upgrade to Lion OS.

My current hardware:
- MacBook Pro
- CPU 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- 4 GB RAM 1067 MHz DDR3
- 250 GB HDD

memmory updgrade is a good possibility? changing the CPU is possible to another more powerfull?

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
CPU upgrade in pretty much ANY notebook out there is impossible. The early 2008 can put 6GB in it, the late will do 8GB.

So some upgrade is possible.

OP
D
Reaction score
you mean, ram upgrade is possible, cpu is not? do you think ram upgrade will help to solve the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It's possible. I had issues with a Lion UPGRADE, some of them were resolved by doing a clean install. Then again, my 08 macbook pro's still running Snow Leopard, and I do not believe I'll upgrade it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
CPU upgrade is not possible, no. Just to answer that part of your question.
RAM sometimes helps, because if gives the machine the ability to do more things at once.
As memory is fairly cheap these days, it's a worthwhile upgrade, but you have 4GB, which should really be enough, unless you are doing a lot of video editing.
What processes are slowing things down?
If you open activity monitor, you wil be able to see what's eating all the processor power too.

C

chas_m

You haven't said anything about how much free space you have available. That could be playing a key role here.

OP
D
Reaction score
You haven't said anything about how much free space you have available. That could be playing a key role here.
The main problem is that when i turn on the mac, it takes several minutes to start the OS, that's very annoying (with mac OS X...). Also, sometimes while i'm working with pdf documents, it does not respond to go down the document; another problem is that when using MacKeeper analisys the mac does not respond to another operations...IMPORTANTAN TO NOTE, all these behavior happened after making the upgrado to Lion. May be 4GB is not enough for lion?

Many Thanks

C

chas_m

The main problem is that when i turn on the mac, it takes several minutes to start the OS, that's very annoying (with mac OS X...).

It's interesting that you quoted my post and yet didn't manage to answer the question posed therein.

another problem is that when using MacKeeper analisys

Stop. That's your problem right there. Do a search on this forum for "MacKeeper" and then uninstall it as quickly as you can (using the proper uninstaller -- very important!!)

May be 4GB is not enough for lion?

That is most definitely not the issue.

OP
D
Reaction score
It's interesting that you quoted my post and yet didn't manage to answer the question posed therein.

Stop. That's your problem right there. Do a search on this forum for "MacKeeper" and then uninstall it as quickly as you can (using the proper uninstaller -- very important!!)

That is most definitely not the issue.

Thanks chas_m; i'm not in front of my mac right now, so i can't give you the information you asked me about it...

I will monitor my mac just to confirm that this is really a problem related to RAM; but it's weird that starting the mac takes several minutes after making the upgrade to lion when in the past with leopard it was perfect!

I've been checking the minimum requirements for Lion, and it says 4GB as minimum RAM

OP
D
Reaction score

:| what's the problem with MacKeeper as you say to uninstall asap? which uninstaller do you recommend?

Many Thanks

C

chas_m

Do a forum search on MacKeeper (again, as I suggested previously) and you will see. It is a garbage program that CAUSES problems rather than fixes them. Uninstall it (properly) with all due haste and make sure your backups are in good working order.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks chas_m...can you please recommend a software to uninstall properly the mackeeper?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.