• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Format Question

Reaction score
I have a question about video formats. I have an iPad 2 and a Sony Bravia KDL 810 TV. I have been ripping all of my DVD's (only ones that I own) and putting them on my NAS drive. I was wondering if there was a video format that will play on my iPad and the Sony TV. I really don't want to save the movie in two different formats and take up double the space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Have you read the specs for your TV? I believe that it can play MPEG-4 which the iPad will play. But you might like to check the TV specs first.

OP
N
Reaction score
So H.264 is the same as MPEG4? On my ripper software that format is listed as "Apple TV-H.264." Why the Apple TV branding?

C

chas_m

1. No, they're not exactly the same thing. H.264 is a codec used in MPEG4, but not the only codec supported.

2. Your ripper lists "Apple TV" specifically as a shorthand way of saying that the file will be in H.264 codec but also at the right bitrate, ratio and framerate (et al) that is supported by Apple TV.

OP
N
Reaction score
So would that be the best option to rip my movies to watch them on a 55" screen? Where can I find the other Codecs that are H.264?

C

chas_m

So would that be the best option to rip my movies to watch them on a 55" screen? Where can I find the other Codecs that are H.264?

No, H.264 IS a codec. Other codecs would be different (for example, H.263 or 3gp or MP3).

C

chas_m

No, screen size doesn't really matter. You could have a 55" TV that only displays 720p (1280x720) as its native resolution.

Find out what the Bravia's native resolution is. Find out what the iPad's preferred bitrate is. Then create an MP4 at (bravia resolution) and (iPad bitrate) and it should play well on both devices. The iPad will simply scale down the resolution to fit its screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.