Using 13'' MacBook as a second monitor

Reaction score
So I just got a new 15'' 2.2GHz quad-core macbook pro to replace an older 13'' macbook that's about 3 years old. I want to use my older 13'' macbook as a second monitor so I could set up a dual display for my macbook pro. Anyone know any way to set this up like cables I need or programs I could get to set this up? Thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Your MacBook has no "input" for the display - only an output, so you can't use it stock as an external display. You might be able to buy a USB video capture style device to do the conversion, but to be honest, you will spend more money on that and the needed adapters than it would cost to get a nice 19" monitor.

OP
R
Reaction score
Alright, I wasn't completely sure it was possible/reasonable, i just thought it'd be cool if i could do it.. Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Alright, I wasn't completely sure it was possible/reasonable, i just thought it'd be cool if i could do it.. Thanks

You hit the nail on the head... while it's technically "possible", it's not practical. I'd definitely look at the current crop of 19" monitors though... for a little over $100, you can get a pretty nice display that puts the old MacBook's to shame.

Amazon has some great deals out there right now. This one is LED backlit and still a 16:10 ratio:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EFUOX0/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.