Why is font color gray?

Reaction score
Is there a particular reason why the font in these forums is gray instead or black? It makes the text faint and harder to read.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I can't speak to the design of the website but you can set your browser to override the default colours set by web designers. Which browser are you using?

OP
C
Reaction score
Safari or Firefox.

But I'd rather not have to make a global setting change to accommodate one website's design choice. Am I the only one that thinks gray is a poor choice for a font color?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Safari or Firefox.

But I'd rather not have to make a global setting change to accommodate one website's design choice. Am I the only one that thinks gray is a poor choice for a font color?

Probably . . . ;)

At least you are the first to complain. FWIW the font looks fine on my monitors and iPad. Maybe you need to boost contrast or adjust brightness on your monitor?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Is there a particular reason why the font in these forums is gray instead or black? It makes the text faint and harder to read.

We're working on some changes to the overall design of the forum and I think you'll be pleased with the result.

OP
C
Reaction score
Great! The gray is fairly legible, but black will be better. It's not that I actually have a hard time reading the forums, but I think the change will help.

Wow, talk about responsive! ;D

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Leave it be!

Have to agree with Harry in this. Don't know if it is because I'm old and getting averse to change, or what. But, I happen to like the way the font looks and find it soothing on the eyes.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are indeed some changes in the works. I can't give much detail, but I think you'll all be pleased.

OP
C
Reaction score
I think reasonable people can disagree about something like this.

It would be nice as a user configurable option.

PS, which is easier to read? I just noticed that you can change the color of your own posts.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both equally easy once your eyes shift contrast. Again, I personally find the gray on light gray easier on the eyes.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Grey. Design and studies have been done on these stuff. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
A slightly darker gray would be nice.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well, we could make the font Pink with a Yellow background! I bet many more would complain! :D

My eyes over the last few years have changed a bit. I can read the Gray but a bit darker would help me, but I get around it with the computer.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally, I like light text on a black background for a backlit display. Paper and E-Ink is a different story.

You simply can't please all of the people all of the time, so you have to aim for some of the people most of the time ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Personally, I like light text on a black background for a backlit display. Paper and E-Ink is a different story.

You simply can't please all of the people all of the time, so you have to aim for some of the people most of the time ;)

VERY true. On my Atari ST I used to use White text on a Black background for ASCII BBS systems. Was very easy on my eyes. I am fine with it now but the new look will be interesting for sure.

On the Amiga when I first got it I was using JR Comm and remember some strange color combos that had when calling BBSs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
VERY true. On my Atari ST I used to use White text on a Black background for ASCII BBS systems. Was very easy on my eyes. I am fine with it now but the new look will be interesting for sure.

On the Amiga when I first got it I was using JR Comm and remember some strange color combos that had when calling BBSs.

Brings back memories. I believe the guy that wrote JR Comm upgraded it later and renamed the program "Terminus" or something to that effect. I spent many hours using that program and remember it fondly.

On another Mac-related note - we ought to put together a "Show us your Terminal.app" thread!

I have a semi-transparent black background with a green font color. Reminds me of the old WYSE dumb terminals we used to have at work.... pretty sweet.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not set the colors in Lion yet but in SL and Leopard Black with White text like the old days.

I remember Terminus. Used it for sure.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A fix:

Safari
1. Open up TextEdit > Format > Make Plain Text.
2. Paste the following into the TextEdit window and save it as whatever you want with the .css extension:
Code:
/* http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5110249/wildcard-in-css */
div[id*='post_message_'] {
	color:black;
}
3. Go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced > Style Sheet > choose the css file you just saved.
4. Restart Safari and enjoy black text in the posts.

Firefox
1. Go to Home Directory > Library > Application Support > Firefox > Profiles > [the folder here - it differs from profile to profile but should look like a bunch of random characters with .default at the end].
2. If it doesn't exist, create a folder called chrome.
3. Copy that css file you created for Safari to this chrome folder and call it userContent.css.
4. Restart Firefox and enjoy.

I tested both of those and they should work if you follow the instructions.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ugh... here you go again, Vansmith. Where's the nice GUI front-end with the toggle, preferably in the guise of a Safari extension?

Your Jedi powers are getting weaker, old man!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.