Extracting data from dead mac to new mac

Reaction score
Hello all,

A few months ago my old 2008 MBP had a failing logic board (so it appears) and passed away... I now am a proud owner of new MBP, yet I would love to get a lot of my music/docs/apps/misc off of the old one and onto the new.

So far I have tried starting the older MBP in target disk mode while connected via firewire to the other mac, but nothing comes up.

I guess it's looking like I'm going to have to get dirty and open the old sucker up and retrieve that hard drive. I would really rather not have to do that as I do not own the proper tools and wouldn't know what to do with the HD once I have it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could rescue my data? I'd ultimately like to wipe the hard drive as well and sell the whole thing for parts.

thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello all,

A few months ago my old 2008 MBP had a failing logic board (so it appears) and passed away... I now am a proud owner of new MBP, yet I would love to get a lot of my music/docs/apps/misc off of the old one and onto the new.

So far I have tried starting the older MBP in target disk mode while connected via firewire to the other mac, but nothing comes up.

I guess it's looking like I'm going to have to get dirty and open the old sucker up and retrieve that hard drive. I would really rather not have to do that as I do not own the proper tools and wouldn't know what to do with the HD once I have it.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could rescue my data? I'd ultimately like to wipe the hard drive as well and sell the whole thing for parts.

thanks!

Assuming your MBP is the unibody version, here are the instructions for removing your HDD. Pretty straightforward and easy. Ifixit sells the tools (torx bit essentially) if you don't have one. Then all you need is an external case and you are good to go.
OWC is a potential source for the case.

MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Late 2008 and Early 2009 Hard Drive Replacement - iFixit

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
If it isn't the unibody then these are the instructions you need.
MacBook Pro 15" Core 2 Duo Models A1226 and A1260 Hard Drive Replacement - iFixit

Since your MBP is essentially a paperweight at this point since you are not going to repair or part it out, you have little to lose by opening it up. If you break something, so what!

Other than physically removing the drive (or replacing the Logic board) I don't know of a another way to access your data at this point.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.