MacBook Pro late 2009 hardware issue

Reaction score
Hey everybody
i have a macbook pro 13'' unibody and i have some hardware(i guess) issues about it. I tried to install OS X Lion but i could not and after searching in the internet i ran the build in hardware test. The problem code that came up was 4MEM/1/40000000: 0xa9fb1298. I searched for this but there is nothing similar in the web. I guess i have to replace either ram or hard disk but i can't tell which one. Since iam new to mac can anyone give me a hand?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Ram vary rarely goes bad. It can from over heating but I have only seen it once on a desktop that was placed in a cabinet with the door closed. That same persons computer had multiple hard drive failures over the same period of time the computer was in the cabinet. Since they now have it out of the cabinet it hasn't given them any problems for well over 2 years.

But hard drive do and will fail, regularly, that is just the nature of the beast.

I would first use an external drive and install your operating system on it. Boot the Mac from that external and see if it runs OK. If it does then more then likely the internal drive is failing.

NOTE:
As soon as possible copy all you personal data and any program install files you have on the internal to an external drive or to another computer on your home/work network (LAN).
Actually that is the first thing to do.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the response! Ok i have backed up all of my staff but since i have downloaded the os lion from market can i boot that operating system from my external drive? Is there a tutorial for that procedure to help me? I was using for a loooong time windows and iam really a fresh user of macintosh.
Thanks again..

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! Ok i have backed up all of my staff but since i have downloaded the os lion from market can i boot that operating system from my external drive? Is there a tutorial for that procedure to help me? I was using for a loooong time windows and iam really a fresh user of macintosh.
Thanks again..

Yes when you start the download it should ask you what drive to install it to you would select the External drive.

Once it finishes the downloading you computer will reboot and start the install on the external. Once that is done it should reboot again giving you the original out of the box, just brought home from the store, startup screens where you select your Language, Country and whatever. It will then ask for a Apple ID, no need to type that in right now, you can just select Continue.
Very important!!!
When you get to where you type in your name and then the password you want to use, Use the Same Exact Name and Password you used originally when you first set the system up.

Once that is all done the system should go to the desktop of OS X.
Use it as you would normally use it, that may mean you have to reinstall some software.
To boot back into the original internal hard drive you have 2 options to do that.
1) While your in the system go to System Preferences then Startup Disk and select the internal disk and click Restart. You do the same if you are running from the internal drive only selecting the External as Startup Disk.
2) As soon as the first sound comes out of the speakers press and hold, for a short time, the Option key. That will take you to a screen where you can select which drive, internal or external, you want to boot from. The external will have the USB logo on it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well i thought myself that the ram could be the problem but i wasn't sure enough to buy other and replace it. Thank you Shootist i will give your method a try and also thank you dtravis7 for the response. I think iam going to start looking for official apple spare parts!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.