PDF Files & Flash Player

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am experiencing problems with non Apple applications such as PDF files and Flash Player.

I run Apple Mac Pro OS X Ver 10.7.2. Also with Parallels.

Generally I can open all PDF attachments, but lately some companies send me PDF attachments which cannot be opened. However the same attachment on a Windows machine opens just fine.

Our South African Receiver of Revenue, use a program that gives you an option of opening files with either Flash Player or PDF. Both give problems on the Apple but not on a Windows based machine.

Any ideas how to rectify this please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Update your PDF program, is it preview or Acrobat Reader

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Louishen

Thanks for your reply. I did download the latest software for Flash Player as well as Adobe Reader. However I am not 100% sure if it has defaulted to use the latest or whether files are still using old systems?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Do you have a sample for us? Although it does a great job with 99% of PDFs, some just can't be opened in Preview. Have you tried using Adobe Reader?

What happens when you try the Flash route? Do you get an error message?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Vansmith
I can forward an email which has an attachment that cannot be opened. The same email sent to a Window machine opens fine. Also tried saving attachment and then opening and it is just gibberish.
Second example is our Tax Receiver has an online site where you submit online submissions of tax returns. Docs can be open in either PDF and in Flash. Flash ties to load and opens the border of the page where you see headers and footers but no content. PDF opens a blank page and even if you wait 10-15 minutes does not load. Same program on Windows works fine in both Flash and PDF.
So problem lies with my Apple Setup relating to how Flash and PDF has been loaded. I have uninstalled both and re-loaded with latest yet problem persisits.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.