How do I get network to only choose my network name?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
I am using an iMac on OS Lion Lion. I am wirelessly connect to a Verizon Fios router. When I log on to my computer then WiFi network is logged on to someone else's network. How do I get it to only be long on to my network when I log in. Right now I have to log out and log back in then choose my network. When I did have it supposedly fixed, a dialog box popped up and asked me to choose a network. I would choose mine. Is there a way that it won't have to ask me to choose a network since it will automatically be logged into mine? To fix it I do go to the preferences, choose network and choose my name. I even lock it. It doesn't work.
Thanks for your help.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Go to Apple Menu => System Preferences => Network. Choose "WiFi" from the left window pane. Uncheck "Ask to join new networks" (since this machine won't travel, it shouldn't discover new networks). Then, click Advanced. Remove all other networks from the list so that only yours is shown.

Also, if your Verizon FIOS router is set to use WEP encryption (which is how they tried to set mine up), I would recommend calling them to have them walk you through changing it to WPA (WEP is outdated, slow and not secure - also Macs tend to play nicer with WPA or WPA2).

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help. I did have WAP already since that's the more secure encryption. I did delete the other's but they still show up.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thanks for your help. I did have WAP already since that's the more secure encryption. I did delete the other's but they still show up.

Yeah, they'll still show up in your WiFi menu, you can't stop that. But with the settings changed it should... a) not ask you to join any other network and b) not connect to any other network other than the one you left in the list.

If it's still connecting to that other network automatically, something is not right. Try turning off WiFi (click the WiFi menu and choose 'Turn WiFi Off'). Then go into System Preferences as described previously and make sure only your network is in the list. Then turn WiFi back on. LEAVE IT SIT for about 15-20 seconds before you click the WiFi menu and see if it reconnects automatically without your intervention.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your first directions worked great. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.