Internet Issues with Vista.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You know.... I'm wondering if you're infected with something? Whenever those strange things start happening and then you can't remove Norton plus now IE is refusing to download?

I hate to say this but you're probably looking at reinstalling Windows. Too many battles to fight at once. :Grimmace:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Chscag, that is my feeling as well. He ran SuperAntiSpyware but not Malware Bytes and also try Spy Bot Search and Destroy. Sometimes it takes all 3 to find the nasty! :D

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I'm going to run one of those 2 hour long AVG scans tonight that checks every file in your system. :| Not sure how a virus can get past that...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Look at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts with notepad. It should be mostly clear with just one entry. Something like this:

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#	127.0.0.1       localhost
#	::1             localhost

If it has a bunch of entries that are not commented out (i.e. with a # in front of the line), then it's been compromised and your DNS queries are being redirected.

This could have been done by a prior infection, but not picked up by an active AV scanner.

If that doesn't prove fruitful, boot the machine in Safe Mode w/ Networking (repeatedly tap F8 right after turning the machine on to access boot options). Download and install MalwareBytes from here:

Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer
(the free version is fine)

Install it and allow it to get its updates. Then launch a FULL (not "quick") scan on the machine and see if it finds anything.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Excellent info CWA. Forgot to tell him to run the FULL on both Malwarebytes and Super Anti Spyware. Makes a big difference a lot of times.

Also agreed on the hosts file. If all that does not fix it , I am stumped! :D

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Look at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts with notepad. It should be mostly clear with just one entry. Something like this:

If it has a bunch of entries that are not commented out (i.e. with a # in front of the line), then it's been compromised and your DNS queries are being redirected.

This could have been done by a prior infection, but not picked up by an active AV scanner.

If that doesn't prove fruitful, boot the machine in Safe Mode w/ Networking (repeatedly tap F8 right after turning the machine on to access boot options). Download and install MalwareBytes from here:

Malwarebytes : Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO removes malware including viruses, spyware, worms and trojans, plus it protects your computer
(the free version is fine)

Install it and allow it to get its updates. Then launch a FULL (not "quick") scan on the machine and see if it finds anything.

I will install Malwarebytes later and see if it helps. Thanks.

Here's what mine looked like:

dsni.JPG

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That looks ok to me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's normal and not indicative of a problem at all. The example was from Win7, evidently they've removed the default localhost redirections as they're now embedded in the OS. So nothing to worry about there.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try Malwarebytes in Full Scan like CWA suggested.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just ran both SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes in full scan mode and both came back with only a few tracking cookies. If this is a virus, it's the most dug in, self replicating, EVIL virus I've ever seen. :|

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just ran both SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes in full scan mode and both came back with only a few tracking cookies. If this is a virus, it's the most dug in, self replicating, EVIL virus I've ever seen. :|

Did you run that AVG you were going to run? Also one more try as it can not hurt is Spy Bot Search and Destroy.

If still nothing, do the sign of the cross in front of the Vista screen as it's possessed !!!!

I am joking of course but some do feel Vista was possessed!

Reaction score
have you tried downloading the norton removal tool from a different computer then putting on the possessed pc? when running the tool i would have it disconnected from the internet. also have you tried a restore?

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you run that AVG you were going to run? Also one more try as it can not hurt is Spy Bot Search and Destroy.

If still nothing, do the sign of the cross in front of the Vista screen as it's possessed !!!!

I am joking of course but some do feel Vista was possessed!

Ran the AVG scan earlier today, it came back with another 3 tracking cookies. (yay, :Sleeping:)

have you tried downloading the norton removal tool from a different computer then putting on the possessed pc? when running the tool i would have it disconnected from the internet. also have you tried a restore?

I don't have another computer to download it on, My iBook completely died last week, I think it's the d/c inboard. Not sure, but I'm sure as **** not going to buy another charger. The rest of my Macs are in storage. :|

Reaction score
how big is the tool? if you have a smart phone have someone download it email it to you then transfer it to the pc?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
R

I don't have another computer to download it on, My iBook completely died last week, I think it's the d/c inboard. Not sure, but I'm sure as **** not going to buy another charger. The rest of my Macs are in storage. :|

A DC In board is not much. What are the symptoms?

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A DC In board is not much. What are the symptoms?

Simply won't charge. I just bought a brand new charger for it too, (my 4th one) and I'm not going to buy another one, or put any more money into it. For the amount on chargers I've spent for this thing, I could've bought another whole iBook!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still scratch my head at all those Power Adapters you have had. I am still on the first one with my iBook.

My ibook just got destroyed though the other day. Had it charging and an animal of mine got very sick (still not sure why) and threw up all over it by accident. Went into the vent on the left side and ports. By the time I saw it, damage was done. I yanked the plug and battery and cleaned it off outside and inside. Since it was plugged in though the liquid blew a chip on the Logicboard. You apply power that chip runs RED HOT in 5 seconds. The poor thing after almost 7 years of my abuse is dead.

Good news is I found a board (same exact one will full Guarantee) for $54 and it will be here tomorrow. So the iBook will once again live.:D

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I still scratch my head at all those Power Adapters you have had. I am still on the first one with my iBook.

My ibook just got destroyed though the other day. Had it charging and an animal of mine got very sick (still not sure why) and threw up all over it by accident. Went into the vent on the left side and ports. By the time I saw it, damage was done. I yanked the plug and battery and cleaned it off outside and inside. Since it was plugged in though the liquid blew a chip on the Logicboard. You apply power that chip runs RED HOT in 5 seconds. The poor thing after almost 7 years of my abuse is dead.

Good news is I found a board (same exact one will full Guarantee) for $54 and it will be here tomorrow. So the iBook will once again live.:D

Yes, I think the power adapters were actually killing themselves due to a problem with the iBook's apparently faulty d/c inboard. When I bought the thing more than 2 years ago now, then guy mentioned that he had to re-solder the charging port in because somebody dropped it before with it plugged in, and I have a feeling he did a very crappy soldering job.

Good news about your iBook though, would hate to see it die after so many years of reliability! :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That makes a lot of sense and might be why you have gone through so many AC Adapters. I have an old iBook G3 here that has DC In board issues. Shuts down rarely charges, runs on Battery well but not AC. Might get a new board but right now the 1.33 iBook is first to get fixed. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.