From PPC G5 (Leopard) to MacMini (Lion)...misery abounds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3; AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB
Beloved G5 PPC suffered complete motherboard death a month ago, so I bought a brand-new Mac Mini.

I had been running the latest available version of Leopard on the G5 & backed everything up to OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro external drive before death occurred (did not use TimeMachine).

I love the Mini, but am having a lot of problems getting apps up & running on the Mini, most of which I assume have to do with trying to go from a PPC/Leopard configuration to Intel/Lion. I also would like to be able to access my backed-up Leopard FileVault user sparseimage file.

No Snow Leopard, obviously...which I gather from the Forums might be part of the problem.

Any help would be appreciated with unseemly humility.

I figured a clean install of Leopard onto what used to be my boot HD would do the trick. I erased & configured the HD (i.e., it's a clean GUID/HFS+ drive). I can't seem to do this at all.

Attempt A.

While running Lion, I figured I could just install Leopard from the Leopard DVD onto the HD in the dock. Clicking on install resulted in a message telling me to restart in order to install Leopard. Doing this results in a momentary hang stating some sort of panic, then tells me I need to restart again. Repeat ad nauseam.​

Attempt B.

Thought maybe I could just restart directly from Leopard DVD (hold C key during startup) & install onto HD. Same panic/restart result.​

Attempt C.

Tried booting from DVD while holding Option during startup); same thing. Also tried the shift/option/Apple/delete startup just for giggles; same result. Zapped PRAM just for kicks & repeated. Same result.​

I haven't started weeping like a child yet, but that check's in the mail...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Leopard will never install on the Mini. You cannot go backwards with operating systems. It came with Lion and you cannot go backwards.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3; AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB
Sorry; I wasn't being clear.

I don't want to install Leopard on the Mini; I want to install it on an external HD so it will be a bootable drive.

Or are you saying that I can't boot up from Leopard on my Mini?

Apologies for ambiguity - as you see, I'm not terribly savvy.

Thanks for the reply in any case.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can not boot up from Leopard on that Mini. I would imagine first off that your Leopard DVD is for a Power PC CPU and thus will never run on an Intel CPU. So it's not a Lion issue. It's a change in Architecture issues.

Then there is the fact like Harry above mentioned that you can run a older version of OSX on Mac that shipped with a newer version. Internal or External has nothing to do with that part. Sorry.

You are right, the apps that will not work on Lion are probably all Power PC applications. If they were Universal apps they should run. Lion being all 64 bit did away with Rosetta which was the Power PC Emulator in Snow Leopard to run Power PC Apps on Intel Macs.

So don't really know what to suggest except buying or upgrading whatever applications that do not run to Intel Mac versions.

Sorry I could not give you better news!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.