Mini DisplayPort Male To VGA Male Cable

Reaction score
I have a MacBook (white, bought it in summer of 2009, software updates installed). I hooked it up to my TV using a cable I bought on Amazon.

This is the cable I bought:
Amazon.com: 6 Feet Mini DisplayPort Male to VGA Male Cable for MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air or devices utilizing mini Displayport: Electronics

The TV says "no signal" and the computer doesn't even acknowledge that it's connected. I have an Insignia 46" LED if that matters (not sure if it's only compatible with LCD and not LED--I don't know much about TVs).

I have spent 2 hours Googling various terms to try to fix this myself, but I can't seem to find anything that helps. Most suggest setting display to "mirror" but I can't get that far since the computer doesn't even recognize the connection to the TV.

I realize I probably sound technologically challenged, and I am when it comes to this specific issue. Please be patient. I would GREATLY appreciate any help you could give me! Thank you.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you gave us the proper nomenclature for your MacBook model.... then, the problem is that your MacBook uses a Mini DVI output port which means you need an adapter from the port to the correct cable. You can use either a VGA cable (not recommended) or DVI (recommended) to the TV. Without an adapter and the proper cable there will be no signal present nor will your MacBook even know that the TV is hooked up.

Hooking up a TV can be complicated so please read our Sticky "How to" which you can find at the top of our "Other Hardware Forum". It's rather long so I suggest taking time to read through all of it.

OP
J
Reaction score
If you gave us the proper nomenclature for your MacBook model.... then, the problem is that your MacBook uses a Mini DVI output port which means you need an adapter from the port to the correct cable. You can use either a VGA cable (not recommended) or DVI (recommended) to the TV. Without an adapter and the proper cable there will be no signal present nor will your MacBook even know that the TV is hooked up.

Hooking up a TV can be complicated so please read our Sticky "How to" which you can find at the top of our "Other Hardware Forum". It's rather long so I suggest taking time to read through all of it.

Thank you, I will check that post out. The cable plugs into my computer without an (apparent) issue, so I'm surprised it isn't working. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.