How to use MacBook Pro in Mexico

Reaction score
We will be traveling to MX in March and want to take our MBPro with us. To use in the room we need an ethernet cable - do we also need an adaptor and if so, where can we get one?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Macbook Pros have an Ethernet port.

OP
T
Reaction score
You are right - we have the air port and so have never used the ethernet - didn't even realize it was there. Feel dumb - thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What's the difference between a cat.5 and cat.6 cable?

See the following LINK for a detailed explanation. (Don't worry about Cat 6, all you need is a normal Cat 5 ethernet cable long enough to reach your MBP)

OP
T
Reaction score
From what I have read, there is wi-fi in the public areas, but we'll need an ethernet cable to access internet in our room.

Reaction score
What part of Mx are you going to? We're going in Feb to Riviera Maya, went there last year and already know there is wifi throughout the whole resort, including the rooms and even the beach!

OP
T
Reaction score
We're going to the Valentin Imperial Maya resort - their FB page forum indicates that the wifi is only in some public areas - don't want to take my MBP to the beach anyway:)

Reaction score
I'm taking my MBP on vacation too......but you're right - not to the beach! Have you researched the resort on Trip Advisor? Fabulous site with lots of info. Have a great time!

OP
T
Reaction score
Would never plan a trip w/o Trip Advisor! Have to weigh all posts, but so much incredible first-hand information - you are so right! Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
We are going to Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an for the second year in a row. It's not on the beach, but is AWESOME!!! Fabulous food - seriously great! It's part of the Bahia Principe Coba/Tulum/Akumal complex, and Sian Ka'an people have access to all the restaurants throughout the whole place, but are entitled to all sorts of extra perks like being able to resesrve all restaurants in advance (our reservations are already made). The people from the other resorts do NOT have access to the fabulous restaurants over on the Sian Ka'an side, so they never get too crowded. The rooms are very large and very Zen in feel - lovely. They have trams that come by very frequently to take you where ever you want to go. Plus Sian Ka'an people have their own private beach with private bar and snack bar, and as I said, they even have wifi on the beach.......if you have an internet enabled phone, you can check your emails while you're there!! You might want to look into this if you plan on going back! Have a great time!:Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.