macbook pro running bootcamp boots only black screen

Reaction score
I tried to turn on my computer today and it only started up a black screen with a white cursor in the top left corner.

I restarted it and choose the mac side to run and it is just totally fine and normal.

I tried to restart it again to the bootcamp=XP side and black screen again.

Please help. I'm not at all educated in how to do things on computers, so please baby talk me through steps. Thank you so much!

Laura

OP
L
Reaction score
UPDATE: So I started up the mac side, opened up Bootcamp Assistant, started to install Windows, put the disk in, it made the windows intro bell noises, flashed a blue screen, then went back to the black screen with flashing white cursor in top left screen. =(
Laura

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's try this:

Reboot Windows again but this time hold down your F8 key. That should get you into Windows XP safe mode. Let us know if that works and we can go from there.

OP
L
Reaction score
Tried that, it rang the bells and showed a light blue screen for a few moments then went black with the flashing cursor.
What next?? Thank you so much!!
Laura

OP
L
Reaction score
UPDATE: I looked through boot camp from the Mac side, and can see all my files! YAY! Can I get to my netbios from the Mac side and make it boot from an external disk drive with the XP disk in it?? (my internal disk drive doesn't read anymore...different issue)
Thanks in advance!
Laura

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even if your Windows partition is formatted as FAT-32 you won't be able to boot it from an external drive. If your Mac's optical drive is not working, you're dead in the water. There is no way to repair the Windows partition without a working optical drive and using your Windows XP CD.

OP
L
Reaction score
AWE $#@$@#$ @#$!@#@$@#

Ok, so now, how do I get my files from boot camp. I really only REQUIRE my emails and my taxes. I do have an external harddrive that runs from the Mac side that I can put them on but don't know where the emails are...I suppose I might need to take it to someone so they can actually seeeee all the files.

Thanks so much for the info about this prob. I hate PCs.
Laura

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.