MacBook Air + Photoshop Elements 10 + External HD

Reaction score
I am using a new MacBook Air with a relatively small HD. I would like to use an external HD for photo storage rather than the internal drive. I just installed Photoshop Elements 10 and would like to have it see and use the photos on the external drive (none there yet). Right now iPhoto has around 60 pix taken with my iPhone but that is all the photos that the program has on it so far. How should I set up the system to get photos from other computers onto the external HD and then get Photoshop Elements 10 to set up and use the external HD properly? What sequence should I take to make this work most smoothly?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I am using a new MacBook Air with a relatively small HD. I would like to use an external HD for photo storage rather than the internal drive. I just installed Photoshop Elements 10 and would like to have it see and use the photos on the external drive (none there yet). Right now iPhoto has around 60 pix taken with my iPhone but that is all the photos that the program has on it so far. How should I set up the system to get photos from other computers onto the external HD and then get Photoshop Elements 10 to set up and use the external HD properly? What sequence should I take to make this work most smoothly?

One method is simply to copy your iPhoto library to your external drive. Double click on the new library and iPhoto will launch with that as the default library location.
Then, in iPhoto preferences select Adobe PSE as your external editor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Or hold the option button whilst launching iPhoto to change your library path. I have done the same thing on the same machine as you are using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.