Help Installing 1tb Time Capsule

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Major newb here, with very limited knowledge of Mac stuff. Please go easy! I do however, really need somebody's help.

I had a bit of an Apple blitz over Christmas and treated myself to a MacBookPro, iPad and 1tb Time Capsule. I realise that the Time Capsule model I have is obsolete and I bought it off eBay, but it still came with all of the software and paperwork.

When I tried to install my TC using the CD, the Mackintosh HD icon appeared with an exclamation mark. The error message I got was:

'Airport Utility software update 2009-002 can't be installed on this disk.The version of Mac OS X on this volume is not supported'.

I thought 'Ok, I'll try and download the software instead'. When I did I got to the same point, an AirPortUtility icon appeared next to the Macintosh HD one, also with an exclamation mark. The same error message is displayed.

I am now at the stage where I don't have a clue how to install my Time Capsule.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Martyn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
What OS are you running?

Is it a new MacBook Pro running Lion, or Snow Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
If you bought the MacBook Pro new, my guess is that the software you were trying to install was old. You already have everything you need to activate the Time Capsule on your Mac. Click on the Finder > Applications > Utilities and look for the AirPort Utility. Click on it and you should be taken through a set up process to use the Time Capsule.

One additional note: if you want to set up the Time Capsule for a backup, you'll have to go to Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen, select System Preferences, and then click Time Machine. From here you can select the disc drive you want to back up to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.