Can my Mac run Snow Leopard..?

Reaction score
I have al older Macbook running OSX 10.4.11
1.83 GHZ Intel Core Duo
512 MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Would this configuration be possible to upgrade to Snow Leopard, even though that requires 1GB ram?
If so, how smoothly will it run?
thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As per the system requirements, you'll need at least 1GB of RAM. If you managed to get it on there with only 1/2 GB, you'd find the experience to be pretty bad. Therefore, if you want SL, you'll need to upgrade your machine by adding some RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yep, and to fully populate it to 2GB would be under $40.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I just re-read the system requirements and processor wise you should be OK. You'll need at least one GB of memory but two would be better.

OP
P
Reaction score
So it would run pretty slow on 512mb...
What if I just upgraded to 10.5 Leopard. That one only needs 512mb of Memory.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

Leopard $100 USD and higher

Snow Leopard $29 USD
+RAM $40 USD
Total $69 USD

You save $31 and get the Mac APP Store by going with Snow Leopard. To me the choice is obvious.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's no point going that route. Not only is Leopard two iterations behind (and thus obsolete to a greater extent than the other two) but it will be more expensive as Razormac correctly noted. Not only will you save money but you'll have a more modern operating system and better specs.

Reaction score
Lost Apple~Virgin

I too have an older Powerbook G4, my first mac ever so please be gentle. . .

I don't have the Intel though, my specs are:
mac os x
1 GHzPowerPC G4
1MB L3 Cache

1GB DDR SDRAM

I'm struggling to figure out what needs to be upgraded and what can be, if at all??

seems like the flash player doesn't work proper, will not keep time with youtube vidoes at all, can not watch any downloaded files .wmv??, and most important to my young son....can not upgrade Itunes 8.2 (23)

feeling like I may have made a serious mistake trying to switch Mac.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I too have an older Powerbook G4, my first mac ever so please be gentle. . .

I don't have the Intel though, my specs are:
mac os x
1 GHzPowerPC G4
1MB L3 Cache

1GB DDR SDRAM

I'm struggling to figure out what needs to be upgraded and what can be, if at all??

seems like the flash player doesn't work proper, will not keep time with youtube vidoes at all, can not watch any downloaded files .wmv??, and most important to my young son....can not upgrade Itunes 8.2 (23)

feeling like I may have made a serious mistake trying to switch Mac.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.

Not really a fair analysis. Would you try switching to an 8 to 10 year old PC and then blame Windows for your problems?

The latest OS your PowerBook can run is 10.5 Leopard which will set you back $100 USD.

Reaction score
Just trying to figure this out. I do have older PC's in the house that actually have had no problem upgrading to the Newest Itunes. I didn't realize the ANY mac would ever have issues with upgrades by its builder.
Just a small hurdle. I am still committed. ONly wondering if it possible to do basic functions like sync IPods and watch videos with this unit.
Are you saying upgrading the OS to Leopard would resolve all those issues I listed?
I am beginning to understand the problem...still searching for the answer.
thanks,
virgin

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just trying to figure this out. I do have older PC's in the house that actually have had no problem upgrading to the Newest Itunes. I didn't realize the ANY mac would ever have issues with upgrades by its builder.
Just a small hurdle. I am still committed. ONly wondering if it possible to do basic functions like sync IPods and watch videos with this unit.
Are you saying upgrading the OS to Leopard would resolve all those issues I listed?
I am beginning to understand the problem...still searching for the answer.
thanks,
virgin

To run the latest iTunes you are going to need Leopard as a minimum. I don't know about the other issues; we have several members running older Macs and older OS versions. I will let them address that.

IMO before I spent $100 plus USD on Leopard I would see what I could get by selling my PowerBook and upgrading to a MacBook.
The last time I looked decent used MacBooks were running $350 to $450. But, I don't stay up on used prices.

EDIT: At first I was annoyed at the planned phase out for support of older systems by Apple, then I realized it was how Apple stayed out of the trap of being forever bound to legacy systems that has bogged Windows down. Now I consider it part of the cost of having a system that "just works". PITR I understand, though when you are caught in the transition.

Reaction score
To run the latest iTunes you are going to need Leopard as a minimum. I don't know about the other issues; we have several members running older Macs and older OS versions. I will let them address that.

IMO before I spent $100 plus USD on Leopard I would see what I could get by selling my PowerBook and upgrading to a MacBook.
The last time I looked decent used MacBooks were running $350 to $450. But, I don't stay up on used prices.

EDIT: At first I was annoyed at the planned phase out for support of older systems by Apple, then I realized it was how Apple stayed out of the trap of being forever bound to legacy systems that has bogged Windows down. Now I consider it part of the cost of having a system that "just works". PITR I understand, though when you are caught in the transition.

that is a great plan.
he is only 12 and I am weaning him off the PC.
did upgrade itunes to 9.2.1 will see if his ipod will link up when he gets back from the sithe~queens house full of dells and hps.
thank you for your help here. i know you don't have to.
for noobs like me I say gracias'

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.