FileVault on Lion - performance and can it be undone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, OS X 10.7 Lion, 4x 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB RAM
Hello

I have a new mac with OS X Lion. FileVault is currently not enabled, but I am considering enabling it. I have some questions:

* can FileVault apply to an already-existing install? (I have about 800GB free HDD space). I already have all my media and documents on this machine.
* what is the performance hit like when using disk encryption? I used disk encryption on my old laptop under linux and it did go slow, but not sure if due to encryption or machine
* can FileVault be disabled? In the future if I decide I no longer wish to use encryption, can I turn it off easily without having to do a re-install?

Thanks for any help.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello

I have a new mac with OS X Lion. FileVault is currently not enabled, but I am considering enabling it. I have some questions:

* can FileVault apply to an already-existing install? (I have about 800GB free HDD space). I already have all my media and documents on this machine.
* what is the performance hit like when using disk encryption? I used disk encryption on my old laptop under linux and it did go slow, but not sure if due to encryption or machine
* can FileVault be disabled? In the future if I decide I no longer wish to use encryption, can I turn it off easily without having to do a re-install?

Thanks for any help.
Yes and yes to your first and third questions. Don't have a good feel on the performance impact. I ran the old FileVault and never really noticed a slow down.

Having said all of that, I would not reccommend running it. The chances of a catastrophic and unrecoverable data loss are too great for the benefits.
A better option IMO is to use Encrypted Disk Images for files you want to maintain on your internal HD, and use FileVault2 to encrypt external HDs.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, OS X 10.7 Lion, 4x 2.7 GHz i5, 8GB RAM
Thanks for the replies. I can say that I am now running FileVault 2 and can notice no performance impact at all; seems easy to use. Happy days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Having said all of that, I would not reccommend running it. The chances of a catastrophic and unrecoverable data loss are too great for the benefits.
A better option IMO is to use Encrypted Disk Images for files you want to maintain on your internal HD, and use FileVault2 to encrypt external HDs.

From what i have read on the new FV though are of good reviews, too a extent. After my issues with FV i would also recommend to not use it, but honestly mate i think it would be worth looking to use for people that need it. On that see below :)

Thanks for the replies. I can say that I am now running FileVault 2 and can notice no performance impact at all; seems easy to use. Happy days.

Just a heads up, glad you have it running and is doing what intended to do, but have a read of my thread http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/180474-peoples-take-file-vault-please.html and can make your on conclusions. The newer version just might be worth it, but unless you have some Top Secret Squirrel stuff going on i can't see the point of using it.
Glad your happy with it. Another good review :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.