'Used' Mac mini setup for iPhone4s? Pics attached

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I've gone and done it - i've ordered a 32gb iPhone 4s to replace my Blackberry.

Now I would like an Apple computer too to complete the switch :D

Budget is tight and I am just looking for something to do the job for the next year or so (highest demands will be running iTunes properly and watching streaming video - incedently my Windows laptops have always run slowly when using iTunes).

As I have a big TV in a spare room as well as lots of spare PC peripherals, the Mac mini looks like excellent value at £125-plus when compared to intel-based Macbooks which start at £300.

I've been through the tech-specs and am a little confused, if you have the time, I would really appreciate some pointers such as... What should I be looking for in a Mac Mini? Is G4 a really bad idea or should I hold out for Intel?

As a first Mac a £125 Mac Mini (G4) seems like a sensible purchase - but I've been told it may not be up to running the latest iPhone functionality. I'll be buying a new one in a year or so, so this is just a stop-gap.

I'm a little clueless when it comes to connectors, so I have attached photos of the back of my TV to show what ports I have in the hope this will help decide on which Mac Mini would be best to give good picture quality - eg does it have to be HDMI or will analog give a good picture too?

I would definately need wi-fi btw.

Many thanks as always for your replies x

IMG00059-20120107-1233.jpg

IMG00060-20120107-1233.jpg

IMG00061-20120107-1233 (1).jpg

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Absolutely IMO give the G4 a pass. You will want to go with at least a Core Duo, preferably a Core 2 Duo Intel Mini.
Connection should be no problem, when/if you get your Mini we can steer you to the adapter you need (if any). The latest Mac Minis can do a direct HDMI connection, but an older version will need an adapter from Mini Display Port.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.