Saving vs. opening files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
How do I set up my iMac to open files instead of saving them? In other words I'm asking to read an attachment but instead it asks me where I want to save it? (90% of the time its PDF files in question, but sometimes word docs).

Tks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" | iPad 1 | iPhone 5
Where do you get the (PDF) files in question from? I mean, is it like you connect an external hard-disk and want to read but not save the files, or is it in an email?
Maybe I could help you, this problem sounds familiar to me, but if you're talking about the Mail application from Apple I can already say "sorry". I stopped using it a while ago because of having trouble with attachements.

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
Where do you get the (PDF) files in question from? I mean, is it like you connect an external hard-disk and want to read but not save the files, or is it in an email?
Maybe I could help you, this problem sounds familiar to me, but if you're talking about the Mail application from Apple I can already say "sorry". I stopped using it a while ago because of having trouble with attachments.
I don't use the Apple e-mail program, instead use Thunderbird. It is not from an external disk, but usually from websites - only those I trust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" | iPad 1 | iPhone 5
I don't use the Apple e-mail program, instead use Thunderbird. It is not from an external disk, but usually from websites - only those I trust.

I could be wrong here; but as far as I know if you click on an attachement on a website it does automatically just offer a "save as" option (and some others, irrelevant for now). But never heard of a way to take a "quick look"...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I am not using Thunderbird at the moment but you can specify what applications open up different attachment types in | Preferences | Attachment

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 (2019)
I am not using Thunderbird at the moment but you can specify what applications open up different attachment types in | Preferences | Attachment
The only "preferences" I can see are the System Preferences and there is no tab for Attachment" in System Preferences that I can see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
In Thunderbird

Menu bar | THunderbird | Preferences | Attachment

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac version 10.10.1, 21.5 viewing screen,3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 12 GB
I have the same problem

When I go to open a PDF file I am always asked to "Save As" the file somewhere. I just want to open and read it, not save it to the Desktop, then open it, read it, and then have to put it in the trash later. Its **** annoying, especially if you go back to open the same file a week later. It happens when on the internet in Firefox or when I get pdf files through my Thunderbird e-mail. I have tried all the different Preferences but to no avail. Is there an answer to this or do I have to keep saving?

C

chas_m

I don't know anything about Thunderbird, but in Mac Mail you just select the attachment and hit the space bar for Quick Look. Easy peasy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.