mackeeper?

Reaction score
I've been having trouble lately with my machine.
I'm running the OS X Version 10.5.8.
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about mackeeper.
The popups for it have darn near driven me koo-koo, but now I'm wondering if it would be a good thing to purchase.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sorry to be blunt, but it's garbage. All of its functions are available in freeware packages like Onyx. In short, about the only thing MacKeeper has going for it is good marketing.

Since you weren't specific about the problems you're experiencing, it's kind of hard to advise you. But I would recommend having a look at this article...

Mac-Forums Blog » Mac Hardware » Basic Mac Troubleshooting

...and after you've followed the steps, let us know how you made out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you! Blunt and to the point was exactly what I hoped to find here.

My machine is running slower much of the time. Altogether too often it actually freezes ~~ like a pc! Then the only way I can move is to unplug it and start over. Sometimes that doesn't even work when I open a still-frozen foxfire. I know it's getting old (2 1/2 year I think), but still! I knew what to do with pcs ~ defrags and emptying junk etc, but I'm at a loss with my mac.

I'll go read that Basic Troubleshooting link. Thank you for that.
I did try to search 'mackeeper' on here but I got nothing. Obviously I'm not searching correctly.

Again, thank you both.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Thank you! Blunt and to the point was exactly what I hoped to find here.

My machine is running slower much of the time. Altogether too often it actually freezes ~~ like a pc! Then the only way I can move is to unplug it and start over. Sometimes that doesn't even work when I open a still-frozen foxfire. I know it's getting old (2 1/2 year I think), but still! I knew what to do with pcs ~ defrags and emptying junk etc, but I'm at a loss with my mac.

I'll go read that Basic Troubleshooting link. Thank you for that.
I did try to search 'mackeeper' on here but I got nothing. Obviously I'm not searching correctly.

Again, thank you both.

Do you have a backup on an external drive? Your symptoms could indicate a failing HD.

C

chas_m

Completely un-related, but I am fascinated that so many people I meet call it foxfire. It's apparently a brain thing, like when your parents called discs "tapes" and such.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.