Macbook Pro has slowed what to do

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro has slowed down, and if I play any games the screen freezes and gets lines through it. How do I check to see what is wrong or to free up space.

I removed most of the photos I had, but that is another problem iphoto will not let me export or make an album.

any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I tried to use search on MacForums and it keeps telling me
"The answer given for the random question was incorrect." no matter what phrase I use what am I doing wrong there?:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks
Freeing up space

My Macbook Pro has slowed down, and if I play any games the screen freezes and gets lines through it. How do I check to see what is wrong or to free up space.

I removed most of the photos I had, but that is another problem iphoto will not let me export or make an album.

any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I tried to use search on MacForums and it keeps telling me
"The answer given for the random question was incorrect." no matter what phrase I use what am I doing wrong there?:p

Not enough free space is most likely your problem. I'd remove more than photos to get the space you need for your system to run faster. If you have larger files like music or videos, I'd put these on an external hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
Having to many items on your hd usually dosnt't slow down your computer. Its probably that you need to upgrade your ram that would easily make your computer not freeze up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" | iPad 1 | iPhone 5
Maybe try not keeping your photos in iPhoto? I've heard that iPhoto takes relatively pretty much space. Instead, I personally like keeping my photos in a folder, just with Finder. To do so you can right-click on a photo, and choose "Show File". This will take you into the iPhoto library in Finder and from there on it's pretty easy and obvious how to find the rest of your photos (if not do the same thing for others). Now you can just drag the files somewhere into a folder.
Of course this is no option if you want to continue using the features of iPhoto (e.g. it's editors or face recognition etc.)

You could also just get rid of photos on your system you don't need every time of the day with you, and instead keep them on an external hard-disk. This is pretty obvious advice though.

Edit: if you have applications you don't use you can delete them easily and completely (including preferences files etc.) with AppZapper.

Note: I don't know for sure if it takes less space, but I've heard so, and it doesn't hurt to try, does it? For me though it works pretty well.

OP
K
Reaction score
well some of this is what I have done already.

Iphoto will not let me drag or make albums for some reason. I gave up I don't like the program anyway. but i have photos i need to move and copy and I can't. that is one problem

I have removed any and all documents. I don't have videos nor music so that is not taking space up.

I've been getting messages in chrome telling me it doesn't understand the command I have put in while playing a game, that is new and the screen has been going fuzzy.

I don't know how to clean up this computer this is all new to me.

I do have it partitioned for windows and only use that when I do QB & a design program but both I have not used in months.

I will look into the appzapper, will that help me clean up the hd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" | iPad 1 | iPhone 5
If all else fails you can just take your laptop to a store.

Edit: I just read that you have a Macbook Pro, this is just an suggestion but can it be that the games are not fitted for laptops? I installed The Sims 3 a while ago, and it does work but I see my laptop getting slower and a little blurry too at times (I have a Macbook Pro too). I've been told that not all games are suitable for laptops. This is just an idea though...

OP
K
Reaction score
The nearest Apple store is over hour away no fun there.

I didn't load game on laptop I play through their website.

I had someone tell me to do a pram zap.which worked and cleared up a lot of stuff.
It running at a great speed now. YEAH. THANKS FOR ALL THE
ADVICE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.