powerbook g4 1.33ghz 17inch prob please help

Reaction score
my 1.33ghz 17inch PB just stopped working
when i opened it up i found a component was burned up, split and leaking. There was also a small bit of metal loose inside the case, that must have shorted the board.
can anyone tell me what the component is that is fried, an what if anything can be done to repair my power book and what that might cost...

these images are a shot of where the component was, a close up and a view of the loose bit in case it came from somewhere important too.

thanks
powerbook1

powerbook2

powerbook3

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
There is nothing you can do because you'd need to order parts with would be extremely hard to find and finding it would be just as hard as replacing it. If you really wanted to rescue your mac bring it in to an apple store and they would be able to fix it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like it may be an IC power regulator that burned up. Possibly due to another component failure somewhere along the way - in other words too much current drawn through the circuit.

That kind of repair would require a complete replacement of the Logic Board which means it's beyond economical repair unless you can somehow find a refurbished board and do the work yourself. It would still probably be expensive. Might be a good time to replace the machine with a new one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.