Intel Imac. Can't empty the trash!

Reaction score
Hi guys, I hope someone can help.

Intel Imac.
I recently & foolishly dumped a huge (a bloody million) file of back ups into the trash, thinking I would free up space. I have a WK disc as back up. Now, error code 8003 appears if I try to dump the trash.
Help guys.

Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Intel mac- can't empty Trash!

Hi guys, I hope someone can help.

Intel Imac.
I recently & foolishly dumped a huge file of back ups into the trash, thinking I would free up space. I have a WK disc as back up. Now, error code 8003 appears if I try to dump the trash.

I loaded "force empty trash" & it did clear all other files, except the backups. It now says no such file as /user/nicktoulson/.trash/*

Help guys.

Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Nick

If I read you correctly, you moved to trash a large number of files from your backup disc ie an Ext HD?

Did you by any chance eject/unmount the EHD before trying to empty the trash? The source from which the trash came has to be mounted before you can erase the trash for good.

Try remounting your EHD and then try erasing the trash.

On a couple of occasions I've found things "sticking" in the trash in the way you describe and solved the problem by mounting the EHD as I said and then simply restarting the Mac. Then it worked fine. Hope this helps. Please let us know.

Ian

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi Ian,

thanks for the reply. I have checked the ext hd & it is mounted & ok.
Sorry if my description was a little confusing, but you did read the issue correctly. I've just tried again, no joy!

Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Right, Nick

This needs better brains than mine.

Can others chip in please?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.