Security information to protect my mac

Reaction score
Ok, maybe I'm a bit paranoid lol, but recently i've been really getting into advanced security for my mac. There are just so many processes running and who knows what they do or if they are malicious in any way.

Do you guys know resources to get to learn about technical and advanced ways to protect your mac as well as programs act that can help?

I'm really interested in learning advanced security for my mac

Thanks all

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The unix code used in OS X is extremely safe which explains why after over ten years, there are still no Mac OS viruses, just a few malware bugs. Safe browsing practices, not using pirate sites, ensuring if you use Safari, in preferences > General 'Open' safe files is not selected, firewall on and pop up windows are blocked will see uou pretty right.

If coming from the Windows environment and you do want additional protection, download ClamXAV, which is freeware, and run that.

http://www.clamxav.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
On top of what Harry said above, ... Although Unix code is more robust than other OS's, don't forget how many layers of code are written on top of Unix to make it OS X.
Security is so much more than viruses and malware.
I am not worried about vulnerabilities in Unix, but I am conscious of the vulnerabilities in the layers of code running on Unix.

To start with, have a look at the following ( Google will help you find them )
SANS
US-CERT
SECUNIA
CVE

If you are really interested in Security, feel free to get in touch.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks guys for the information. I was definitely interested in what McBie said. Im looking for things like that - things to learn how to do on my mac to security audit and also patch up my machine to protect myself (there are so many processes running in the background that I have no idea what they do). The links, some of them are just too expensive for an individual like myself to do (like security audits and learning what is taking place on my system). Especially the training from SANS, but that would have been perfect. What's the best thing I can do as an individual user to learn how administrators and security administrators work on their computers to patch up vulnerabilities. I've heard of them even being able to reset certain directories everyday to prevent changes to their systems. I really just want to learn more and where to start.

PS i Just learned of root kits and I was shocked that these are on macs. I definitely need a security knowledge to keep my system and personal information safe.

Thank you all and let me know

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.