Resizing Partitions using Bootcamp

Reaction score
I've had my MBP partitioned using Bootcamp into the following:

a Window partition of just over 31Gb (labelled as the C: drive)
a Mac partition of 233Gb (labelled F: )
a further Windows partition (for holding data) of 200Gb (labelled E: )

I don't want to change the size of the C drive but would like to play around with the sizes of the respective E and F partitions.

Is there any easy (and risk free) way of doing this?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is no risk free way of resizing both the Windows and OS X partitions unless you use specialized software.

For resizing Boot Camp partitions: CampTune $19.95

For resizing your OS X partition: iPartition $46.95

The reason you need specialized software to non-destructively resize the partitions is because you not only want to resize your Windows partitions but also the OS X partition.

You may be better off backing up both the OS X and Windows partition and doing a reinstall. Also, why do you need a data partition for Windows? That just further complicates things. Instead use one large partition for Windows to include both the OS and data.

Reaction score
Agreed - you really don't need a data partition in Windows running in Boot Camp. The rest of your Mac is protected from viruses anyway; and Boot Camp will only work on a drive with one other partition (e.g., OSX). If you try to partition it again, you'll run into problems. It's possible to do so (with reFit) but really not necessary, or so report most of the users who have transitioned from PCs where they had data partitions to Macs using Boot Camp.

Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.