Still on a paleomac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac quad 8, Os X.8.5 6gig ram for now
I got some misleading info here on my options for upgrading my G5 motorola dualie. If you have one of these and are having internet situations where you can't watch a vid. on cnn or whatever because of your 10.4 OS you can skip the morass of sleezy internet sellers and buy 10.6 for 29.00!! It will run on macs like mine with sufficient memory and two processors. This from the nice lady at the apple store. I came close to paying five times that much. Apple discontinued 10.5 up grades long ago. Noone mentioned this when I asked before so I thought it was payback time for all the excellent help I've gotten here. I happened to call apple out of frustration when trying to find Leopard on their site.

Ron

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I got some misleading info here on my options for upgrading my G5 motorola dualie. If you have one of these and are having internet situations where you can't watch a vid. on cnn or whatever because of your 10.4 OS you can skip the morass of sleezy internet sellers and buy 10.6 for 29.00!! It will run on macs like mine with sufficient memory and two processors. This from the nice lady at the apple store. I came close to paying five times that much. Apple discontinued 10.5 up grades long ago. Noone mentioned this when I asked before so I thought it was payback time for all the excellent help I've gotten here. I happened to call apple out of frustration when trying to find Leopard on their site.

Ron

If you get Snow Leopard up and running on your Dual CPU G5 we will be interested in hearing about it as all I/we have heard is that Intel processors only for Snow Leopard.
And the Apple Store still lists Intel Mac as minimum requirement.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA#overview

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You have 10.6 Snow Leopard running on a Power PC G5? Show us proof please. Open About This Mac from the Apple menu and post a Screenshot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You pullin' our what sits!

Or it is not a G5!~

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Is this a question, a "helpful hint", or a sales pitch??:Confused:

Like others have mentioned...I would love to see a dual processor G5 running OS 10.6 Snow Leopard...considering that it's not possible!;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this a question, a "helpful hint", or a sales pitch??:Confused:

Like others have mentioned...I would love to see a dual processor G5 running OS 10.6 Snow Leopard...considering that it's not possible!;)

- Nick

Only way it's possible is put in an Intel logic board in the G5. For the fun of it I tried booting off my SL DVD a while back on my iMac G5 2.1. No dice! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.