"Oh Sweet Jesus what did you do!" (IT HELP!!)

Reaction score
One of my co-workers accidentally copied ALL of his files from his computer to the desktop D: Now We cant do anything except hard shutdown and turn on the computer.

How do I ....
A. Reset the computer to 2 days ago while keeping all of my files.
B. Undo?
C. Get my computer to where I can DO ANYTHING! (Besides start up and shut down)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
When you say ALL files? I guess you just mean documents etc....?

Do you have a time machine backup?

If no, then try booting into safe mode Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode and moving the files back from there.

OP
N
Reaction score
When I say all I mean documents and etc (we are a graphic design company and we have over 10,000 .ai files)

We do have a time machine backup! But I don't know how to activate it without being able to use the interface.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On the Time Machine Backup part, if it's a complete Time Machine backup, boot with the OSX DVD or Lion Flash Drive and from the menu up top, select restore from Time Machine Backup. It will restore to exactly when the last backup was done.

OP
N
Reaction score
Is there anyway to reset my computer without the flash drive? It is Lion but we dont know where the flash drive is... The guy who sets up out macs pretty much sucks D:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If your machine has the Lion Recovery Partition you can boot holding down Command+R after the startup sound.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.