MacBook Air and Time Capsule

jjs

Reaction score
Hi! I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I had a (dumb) question.

If I wanted to connect my Time Capsule and my MacBook Air without using the wireless function, what kind of cable should I use?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Well you haven't mentioned what model of MBA or Time Capsule you have. Either way USB 2.0 is backward compatible so it won't really matter. Basically, you connect a usb cable to the only usb port on your TC. Run it to a hub or directly to one of the USB ports on your MBA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I have never heard of connecting an MBA (or any other Mac/PC) to a TC in this method. Aside from the fact that it wouldn't work, I'm not sure that such a cable exists. Typically, a wired connection between a Mac/PC and a router is made via ethernet cable. I've never owned a MBA, but I suspect that they are lacking a ethernet port. In that case, you are stuck with a wireless connection unless you purchase one of these (along with an ethernet cable).

Apple USB Ethernet Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

OP
J

jjs

Reaction score
I have never heard of connecting an MBA (or any other Mac/PC) to a TC in this method. Aside from the fact that it wouldn't work, I'm not sure that such a cable exists. Typically, a wired connection between a Mac/PC and a router is made via ethernet cable. I've never owned a MBA, but I suspect that they are lacking a ethernet port. In that case, you are stuck with a wireless connection unless you purchase one of these (along with an ethernet cable).

Apple USB Ethernet Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)

Ah, thanks so much! This helped a lot!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.