Texts on computer w/o wifi

Reaction score
I'm lookin for an app that allows me to send/receive texts on my computer w/o wifi. I'm hoping that either using my phone's 3G or connecting my phone to my laptop w/ the USB cable will work.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Well, you will need to see if your phone's service provider offers a "Tethering" plan and if your current phone is able to tether to the computer. Also, is the tethering plan more expensive than just texting from your phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You mention what sort of phone you have so answering the question is near impossible I'm afraid.

But as Deckyon says, you'll need a phone contract that permits tethering and you'll also need some kind of software that can connect to your phone and use the text message interface to send messages. . . .

All seems overly complicated when you can just pick up the phone and text....

OP
RagamuffinGuner
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply guys. Was hoping that I didn't need a tethering plan, but it looks like that's not the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
you have to have some connection to a network to send/receive anything. There is no getting around it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.