Email "labels" in Excel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
I'm using Microsoft Office for Mac 2011, filling in a large spreadsheet for a professional group I'm a member of.

I have a column that is all email addresses. I'd like to "label" the column so when someone clicks on one of the addresses, it will automatically take them to an email screen with the name already in the "To" slot. I know there's a way to do this but for the life of me, can't find it in the Microsoft documentation or in Excel's Help. Please help! Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
The individual addresses can be linked two separate ways:

1. The individual address can be entered as a valid email address. Once entered with the @ symbol, Excel will recognize this and automatically hyperlink that email address into the TO field of a message.

2. If you'd like to mask your email addresses under the names of the individuals, you can type the person's name in the cell and press Enter to get Excel to accept the label value. Go back to the cell, right click, choose Insert Hyperlink, and in the Link To field, type: "mailto:a[email protected]" (obviously without the quotes and inserting the actual email address -- but you must preceed it with mailto:).

In either case, the color of the field will change to blue to show it is hyperlinked.

Hope that's what you're looking for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.